EX2 Ultra fails on backup to USB drive

I’m still on Os3 and wanting? to do the Os 5 upgrade to my EX2 Ultra with mirrored 2Gb drives…
I have a nice new 2GB external samsung drive which is compatible with Win and MAC plugged into the EX2 and all seems well.
However when I try to do a full backup it fails.
If I back up a folder at a time ie docs, pics, music etc, most are working fine, but some not, so I presume these will be or contain the cause of the failure of the full backup.
The question is, there does not seem to be any detail in the log of what it was that caused the failure, just the generic “Backup failed. Please check your system settings” message on the job log. So I don’t know what to do, or how to fix this, or if it was say a bad file name, how to identify the cause?
Any suggestions please?

IS the backup disk getting full during the backup ?

and what backup are you using ? the USB backup app included in OS3 ?

unless you MUST be able to plug the Samsung disk direct to mac - I would format it to windows and not exfat or fat32.

There are app to read the windows formatted external disk for macos or unix.

for OS5 usb backup app a windows formatted external disk will work better.

I back up shares not the whole NAS then I don’t need one super large backup disk - I can use a few smaller units

Thank you for replying. I did of course mean TB not GB!
Yes I am using the WD myCloud backup function in OS3
I am only using 1.7T of the 2T EX2 available so space should not be an issue.
Having manually backed up each of the folders that will, I have three that don’t but I still have 600G spare on the USB drive and one of the folders that fails is only 40G so I think that rules out space as an issue.
Its just so annoying that its either pass or fail with no clue what is wrong!?
My understanding is the move to OS5 should migrate the data on the drive, but even if it should, it makes sense to back it up as a precaution? This should have been so easy!