Expanding the capacity of my EX2 ultra

I’m looking into expanding the capacity of my EX2 Ultra unit. I can’t find the answer to my question anywhere. I don’t use mirroring so that I have 2 x 2TB drives currently giving a capacity of around 3.92TB.

If I was to just change one drive to a 6TB so i’d have 2TB and 6TB drive would that expand my capacity to 8TB, will this work?

The way I understand it the RAID mode is where you mirror the drives (what I don’t want to do), so how would I go about changing without RAID mode if the above is true.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but want to be certain before making any purchases.

How are you setup exactly?

Are you setup as Raid 0? (data stripped across drives) or are you setup as JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks) (where the drives show up as independent shares)?

If JBOD; then yes. . . just swap it out.
If Raid 0. . . then you are basically hosed. Pull one drive – - > The other drive becomes useless. (basically; you need to copy the data off completely before starting) (and for Raid 0; pretty sure the drives need to be the same size)

I’ve got 2 drives in the case and they show up as one volume when I use it on my computer. As far as I can tell that counts as JBOD? They aren’t backing each other up as I keep other backups.

Sorry my technological knowledge is pretty low.

I think I get it now. I have 2x 2tb drives that appear as one volume so this would be raid 0 which means the data is striped (split) between the two drives.

So to achieve the 8tb I’d like I need to get 2x 4tb drives and set them up as raid 0 also which would give me an 8tb volume?

Are NAS drive specs fairly universal? I’m in the U.K. and can only get them from the US. As it’s a US company I presume this doesn’t matter.

Thank you

Specs are NOT universal between companies.

But the are similar for drives rated for NAS service

two words of caution:

1. Don’t mess with SMR drives. (Google SMR vs CMR) (in WD line: Stay away from Red; buy “Red Plus” or “Red Pro”)

2. I would stay away from Raid Zero for reliability reasons. Lose one drive - - -ALL the data is lost. If you don’t need Raid 1 redundancy; I would use JBOD mode. You wind up up with two logical drives; but if you lose a drive; you only lose 1/2 the data.

1 Like