EX2100 - add second drive and keep JBOD

Hi, I already have an EX2100 with one drive on JBOD. Just added a second drive and would like to keep both on JBOD. What’s the best way of doing this without losing my data on the first one? Is it as simple as going to Change RAID mode and selecting JBOD? Thanks in advance.

Hi NikosL ,

I would like to inform yo that, if you configure the drives in JBOD then you would loose all of your data.

So the best way is to backup the data on some other location and then insert both the drive in enclosure and configure the JBOD RAID.

Please use the link below.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=12965

After configuring the RAID you can transfer the data back to the My Cloud EX2100.

Thanks!

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response. I actually, achieved what I wanted without losing any data. It’s a simple procedure but not covered specifically in the manual probably because most people go for a RAID setup.

The procedure in the link above, only shows a screen capture with the option to “Switch to JBOD” but in mydashboard, I also had the option “Create New Volume(s)”. I selected this option, the system checked and formatted the new drive and it’s all working fine without losing any data on my first drive. I guess it would have been a different story if I was into a different RAID configuration and switched to JBOD.

Hopefully this will be of help to others who want to stay on JBOD.

Many thanks again.

Hi NikosL ,

Glad to hear that device is working fine.