Adding a new drive to my EX2 without losing data

Hello,

I currently have 2 MyCloud EX2 devices. One is in my office and the other is in a remote office. Currently, each EX2 has one 2TB drive in the volume_1 bay configured as JBOD. Every night I run a backup from my office to my remote. I just purchased 2 more drives that are 8TB each and I want them to be set up the same way where office volume_2 only backs up to remote volume_2 and there is no local mirroring.

Is there a way to simply install the 2nd drive in the respective EX2 volume_2, configure as JBOD and configure the same backup job to mirror remotely without having any data loss on either volume_1?

We will always tell you to make sure that you have your data backed up before adding new drives. However, if you have the drive set up for JBOD, you should be able to just drop the drive in without any issues. You may need to let the device format the drive, though. I checked and your devices should handle the 8TB drives no problem.

Great! I have already begun to backup my volume_1 just to be safe. After I install my Vol_2 I and configure everything I will report back. Hope this works without any formatting.

Cool. Let us know how it goes.

It is not recognizing the 2nd drive unless I click “Change RAID mode” despite volume 1 being listed as JBOD. I am going to have to format both drives and set as JBOD. I will update after I do so but at least we are all a little bit smarter now!

thanks for the support

Are you sure it was originally in JBOD, and not maybe in RAID 1?

RAID 1 need 2 hdd to function. So as RAID 0 . But are there exception for RAID 0

1 Like

RAID 0 needs two drives to function, because data is split between the two drives. RAID 1 mirrors the data. RAID 1 can function with one drive down, but it is not meant to continue that way because it’s considered a degraded RAID.

Sorry for the delay here. The Raid Volume says “JBOD” but is only showing 1 disk. Disk status shows 2 disks. It is very strange. I am still backing up Volume_1 to a USB attached myPassport and will then format Vol_1 and set both as JBOD. See below:

Do you have the Passport connected to the back of the drive? If so, then it would show up as another disk.

[edit]

And if so, then you need to make sure that you safely remove it in the dashboard before disconnecting the drive.

It is showing up and has backed up with no issue. I am still not seeing the Volume_2 drive unless I go to status or to change the RAID type which will delete everything.

HI

I have the same problem as i am fitting a 4TB next to a 3TB both are showing up as JBOD. The old 3TB drive works well as a JBOD drive but fitting a new 4TB RED drive shows in win 10 it only has 2.9Tb and has only got left 700GB empty space but as I have not put anything on the disk I don’t know what is on the disk. Where has all my storage space gone and how do i get this to be a 4TB empty drive??

Suggestions very welcomed.

Hi I believe changing the raid wont delete everything. Say You can do this

Remove the 1st drive and insert the new drive in the 2nd bay. Which will ask for the setup process. Do it.

Now hibernate after the setup and re-insert the 1st old drive. Now both will be in JBOD. It might work if no data loss is needed. As it might be tricky.

1 Like

HI

I tried a few different routes but on one i made the mistake of blanking both drives out and lost everything on the one disk. Even though i did not ask it to.

I have ended up with 2 JBOD disk i can use as seperate drives which is what i wanted but lost data on the old drive. I think that WD needs to look deeper into their units and software that goes with it and do an update to get this working as it should be not continually say it is a raid drive!!! I am sure that i am not the only person who wishes to use the unit as a non raid item but as 2 JBOD drives.

As i said before. Remove the data drive and insert the empty drive. Unless the raid mode needs both drives to work. In this case JBOD Is individual disk. Even with 1 disk one can setup JBOD . As its just a bunch of disk from the name itself. So that it can allow any size from small to very high as 8tb for now.

So this way once you setup the drive in 2nd bay as JBOD . shut down and inset the 1st drive. Since it is already set as JBOD no issue both should be working now. Unless you change the raid it wont format. As it has just detected the previously build drive.

1 Like

I tried DirtyMacho suggestion of removing first drive, adding second drive into the second slot and formatting, then putting the first drive back in and it worked for me, it gave me a pop up that my original drive was roaming and i had to integrate it, so i did and now i have all my data and the new drive added, voila.

Thanks DirtyMacho.

This works on all WD NAS Drives/ Roaming…I have taken Drive from EX2 and Works on EX4 and backwards compatible…

Followed this suggested way of swapping in a new drive to a JBOD array and now I have two Public folders, a Public on Volume_1 (the new empty drive I plugged in first before adding my old drive back and accepting roaming) and a Public_2 on Volume_2 (my original public folder on the retained drive) which refuses to delete from the dashboard.

In the shares list it looks like it should delete, when I try to remove it goes through the motions but when I regain control Public_2 is still there (and trying to delete public just gives me the expected error, cannot delete public folder).

I dont use the Public folders but Public_2 just being there is annoying me more than I guess it should, any ideas how I get rid of it? Searching here shows up people who have their whole share folder duplicated all with _2 or have hundreds of public folders with the only suggestions in any case is reset the whole unit which seems rather pointless and/or a whole lot of hassle copying back 7TB of data for a public folder I dont use.

Does anyone have any ideas how to easily kill it off? This OS3 still btw. Thanks in advance for any help.

ssh in and rm from console

Ok got it, that was an easier first excursion into ssh than I was expecting. Found and rm -r the Public folder in the corresponding drive and then the public_2 entry in the dashboard deleted correctly this time. Ty.