EX2 Ultra NAS TO Slow

Alright… where to begin. I’ll save you all the painful experience I have had with WD at this point. The short version is it took me 6 months of support to get to this moment. I have an EX2 Ultra (an upgrade from an RMA for the smaller 2TB drive), I run it in an office rigged up with GB Ethernet throughout, GB switch, GB Router and Internet speeds to the outside world of 100MB down X 10MBup. I run High Sierra OSX.

I work mostly on a MacPro (2014) that has 12 cores and 36GB of RAM and wired to the GB switch for amazing speeds on the “intranet”. I managed to get 6TB of data onto the WD drive (after many computer freezes) and planned on that being the time I organize and delete any unneeded files. Once I had everything emptied onto the WD drive I attempted to organize and transfer critical data I need backed up in more than one location. Sadly, the WD EX2 Ultra crashes my Finder every time I access ANY of the files. This issue has been replicated on three different computers using 3 different cables and even trying the WiFi. I have updated all firmware and power cycled every device on my network. I have checked speeds on every device on my network.

Can someone PLEASE help me 1. Get access to my WD and important data without the Finder crashing and 2. The few times I have gotten access it says it will take 6 hours to transfer 8GB of files. I need to know if it is the RAM in the WD and Upload capabilities of the WD that are creating this issue. Someone help!

Hi forestjames,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.