.DTS problem with WD Elements Play

I just bought a WD elements Play Multimedia drive, and it doesn’t decode the movies with DTS audio ( image but no sound).

Since I read in another conversation that there are 2 generations of what i bought, my question was: how can i know which generation i bought?

Thanks,

magnilius

if the top of your box shows the DTS logo, you have the Gen2.   If it doesn’t, you have the Gen1.

You can also compare the model #'s.

hi.

I have the same problem with my WDBACC0010HBK I can see the movie but i can´t hear anything on my tv pluged with a hdmi cable.

How can i fix this?

Is it fixable?

I forgot to mention but myy firm is 1.01.12, should i update my firm?Is it gonna fix this problem this way?

Thank you and have a nice day.

raidorous :  As I said in my previous post in this thread, if your device does NOT say “DTS” on the top, then DTS is NOT supported.  Does your box have the DTS Logo on the top?

Hi

no it dosent have any dts logo on it only the WD:(

i guess i have to take it back and try to find one that has dts on it cause it usless without it:)

Thank you!

Is there no way to play DTS or is it somehow possible like with WD TV where you have to use external speakers?

Hi guys,

I have the same problem, my WD elements play doesn’t read DTS.

On the top only says Dolbydigital and HDMI, what can i do?

Somewhere in the manual says that digital audio needs a audio converter (?)…

I don’t believe that doesn’t work…it might be a way…Anyone knows?

Thank 's!

Freicher wrote:

Is there no way to play DTS or is it somehow possible like with WD TV where you have to use external speakers?

There is one solution for you.   If the file you are trying to play is mkv and has dts sound, you ccan download a free program called mkv to ac3 (free download)   It is a simple program that converts the dts to dolby digital 5.1

the only way is to connect wd to avreciever (or TV with dts) via optical cable (toslink) - the reciever (TV) will decode the dts sound and send it to the speakers

If I connect the wd play to a receiver, will it be sufficient to use an hdmi cable?

Yes, the simple and straight forward solution is to connect an Optical cable to support the sound provided that you have an AV system or a standard DVD home theater sys which supports Optical Audio IN. This way you still enjoy the HDMI Video quality + DTS Audio. Otherwise you have to sacrifice the Video quality by directly connecting the WD Elements Play Unit to your TV USB port.

I am on the first option; using the Optical cable, great Video and great Audio.

Just to share.

Cheers.

I tried many times to connect my WD via optical cable but still no sound, so can anybody help me to resolve the problem please.

Thanks

I have bought  4 WD media players e.g. Plat tv. I was so surprised to find that the elements play can not play DTS as like most people I buy on line and the item description did not indicate this deficiency or I would not have purchased as I expected the usual WD high standard compatibility. My phone contact with WD met with polite indifference. I am now in touch via email but may just return the unit as not fit for purpose.