Download torrents remotely from Mac to MyCloud

I want to connect a MyCloud to a WDTV Live by USB and the MyCloud to my home network using ethernet. Is it possible to save torrents being downloaded on a macbook directly to MyCloud’s hard drive ? I want to avoid downloading on a macbook first and having to copy every file to the MyCloud.

I want to connect a MyCloud to a WDTV Live by USB

Why do you want to do that? I don’t think the USB will allow you the WDTV Live to get data from the MyCloud, if that’s what you’re thinking. Connect all devices together via your router.

Is it possible to save torrents being downloaded on a macbook directly to MyCloud’s hard drive ?

If you map the MyCloud into your Mac’s file system, you can use it just like any other disk corrected to your Mac. See p23 of the user manual. This is the best way of accessing your MyCloud when local to your home network.

I cant help with the WD live, but i can help with the second part of your question.

Yes, but the best way (i’ve found, atleast) may take a little messing around, keep reading.

My setup is that my mac mini has Plex, Sonarr, Couch potato and NZBget running on it, and after NZBget has finished downloading, it will extract the files to my WDmycloud and when i want to view them, Plex pulls them from the WD itself.

One thing to note though, for best performance I would look to see if your torrent software has a directory for downloading, and a directory for completed files.  e.g ‘downloading’ folder should be on your Mac, and then the ‘completed’ folder on your WD, as when its downloaded the torrent software will move it over automatically.  

I’ve also found that mounting by AFP is far better and quicker than SMB by a huge factor.  A 5gb file extracts in 9 minutes on AFP, but 2 hours and 13 minutes on SMB.  If you press CMD + K

then type afp://YOUR.DEVICE.IP.HERE  and connect then log in your drives should mount fine, but Ive found that creating an applescript in automator is much better

Open automator, make a new application, at the top search ‘applescript’ then drag that into the work flow, below is what you need to copy and paste but change what you need.   

property myDisks : {"YOUR", "SHARE", "NAMES", "HERE"}

set mountedDisks to paragraphs of (do shell script "/bin/ls /Volumes")
repeat with aDisk in myDisks
	if aDisk is not in mountedDisks then
		mount volume "afp://YOUR.WDMYCLOUD.IP.HERE/" & aDisk as user name "USERNAME" with password "PASSWORD"
	end if
end repeat

then if your save the applicaiton it should mount it automatically for you whenever you double click it.  If you wanna be extra fancy, with two small steps we can make it so it will repeatedly check ever 10 minutes if the drives are still mounted, and if they’re not, then the process will repeat the top step.

drag another applescript underneath the one we just made.

The delay 300 is how many seconds the process should wait for. (in this case, 10 minutes)

on run {input, parameters}

delay 300

return input
end run

then finally, in the automator search bar, search the term loop.  Drag the loop at the very bottom and your settings are

“Look automatically” and for everytime write -1 

-1 is importnant as this makes the loop cycle infinite, then finally the last setting is “use the original input”

piggychops wrote:

I want to connect a MyCloud to a WDTV Live by USB and the MyCloud to my home network using ethernet. Is it possible to save torrents being downloaded on a macbook directly to MyCloud’s hard drive ? I want to avoid downloading on a macbook first and having to copy every file to the MyCloud.

Don’t know why you would want to connect the WDTV Live to the USB port on the My Cloud.

As to torrenting. Simple, depending on the torrenting program/software. In the torrent application simply change the download location in the torrent applications settings. For example with uTorrent one has two options. First they can change the download location from the default to another location or drive. Second they can have the program move completed downloads to another location. It will probably help to map a folder from the WD My Cloud to the computer to make things a bit easier.

Here is an example of the uTorrent screen where the changes can be made:

The only reason I want to buy a MyCloud is to connect it to the WDTV

The only reason I want to buy a MyCloud is to connect it to the WDTV so WDTV can play files without lagging/stuttering. Right now the WDTV lags/stutters with both wired connection and wifi when I play video files off a macbook using serviio or vuze. WDTV works fine when playing files off a usb connected to its usb port, so I was thinking if I connect a MyCloud it will work the same way. If the WDTV won’t read files from a MyCloud via usb then i’m not sure if I should buy one as it would mean the WDTV will have to play files through my home network which it is not doing properly. I wanted to bypass the home network and have the videos available to the WDTV via usb.

This solves half of my problem. Thanks, but I still need to be able to connect MyCloud via usb since WDTV lags/stutters even when it is wired to a router. Works fine when files are played off a usb.

piggychops wrote:

The only reason I want to buy a MyCloud is to connect it to the WDTV so WDTV can play files without lagging/stuttering.

If all your going to do is connect a USB hard drive to the WDTV then the WD My Cloud is way overkill. The WD My CLoud is NOT a USB hard drive, it is a network attached storage device. It is designed to be connected to one’s local network and its files accessed over the network. The USB port on the WD My Cloud is intended for use with an external USB hard drive not for connecting to another PC for the WD My Cloud to be used as an external hard drive. I’m not even sure the WDTV would even see the WD My Cloud as a USB hard drive if connected via USB. When I connect the WD My Cloud via USB to a PC the PC doesn’t even recognise a device, let alone a hard drive, being connected as a USB device.

It is probably better to figure out why the WDTV is stuttering while playing content in the first place when accessing content over the local network or via WiFi. Based on a quick Google search it appears its not an uncommon problem, especially if one connects the WDTV to the NAS or other network device via SMB.