DLGDIAG for windows crashes

I wanted to check my SATA internal drive (on win 7 64).  I tried to run …/Western Digital Corporation\Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows\WinDlg.exe but it crashes shortly after it starts (after clicking the accpe terms whatever)

A crash dialog box appears with main line:

DLGDIAG for Windows has stoppped working with the following details:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BEX
  Application Name:    WinDlg.exe
  Application Version:    1.28.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    5409ee85
  Fault Module Name:    WinDlg.exe
  Fault Module Version:    1.28.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    5409ee85
  Exception Offset:    000420a2
  Exception Code:    c000000d
  Exception Data:    00000000
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    d4db
  Additional Information 2:    d4dbe661f39a632ec7f79c2c69906e17
  Additional Information 3:    588d
  Additional Information 4:    588d0bae385ce552f61216101a66be8b

Have you tried running the application in compatibility mode for Windows 7 32-bit or Windows XP?

I don’t see any win7 32 bit compatability options (in the Compatability tab of the property page).  I did try running as the  administrator and xp sp 2 and 3 compatability options to no good effect.

I had this exact problem on my machine and my wife’s machine.  I Googled but the suggestions I found were no good.

I did eventually solve the problem.  I had a USB thumb drive perminantly attached to my computer that I use for ReadyBoost.  I disabled ReadyBoost, disabled the USB drive in device manager, and I was able to run the LifeGuard tool without the BEX error.  I have previously setup ReadyBoost on my wife’s computer as well so I would assume that disabling/removing that USB thumb drive will also fix the same problem.

So my suggestion to you is to troubleshoot by removing any other types of USB Storage or even USB media readers that this LifeGuard tool cannot scan.  I believe if LifeGuard detects any storage type device that it cannot scan, it will just crash.  The program should have been designed with error handling to ignore these devices instead of allowing the program to simply crash.

I signed up for this forum simply to provide this solution, so I hope this helps you and everyone else that may find this useful!

1 Like

Yup. That Salves the problem, UR da man…man

Same problem. Disabling the 8 or so USB controller items in device manager under the USB controller group did the trick… after i did this the app did not crash and appears to function normally … after i am done with my diagnostics i will reenable the USB items

My pc is a dell optiplex x64 running W10. I upgraded to W10 since the last time i used the lifeguard diagnostic app. But prior to the W10 upgrade … running on W7 i used the app many times with no issues and with same USB ports / hardware … ie i did not have to disable the USB hardware under W7 for the app to run.

I any number of steps prior to this simple fix to resolve the crashing app … i uninstalled and reinstalled all the C++ distributables … i did a repair of the OS … and other things … nothing mattered

I would call this a bug in the WD data lifeguard app … should be more robust or give more specific error message such as USB conflict please disable unused USB …

SOLVED
When installing Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG for Windows
version 1.31 do not install into the default folder C:\Program Files\Western Digital Corporation\Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows.
Program crashes.
Instead install in folder C:\Program Files\Western Digital Corporation then
program works perfectly.
Maybe path name for folder is too long.
Works for V1.31 and V1.24. Hope this helps.
Running Windows XP

Resend previous comment. NOT FIXED.
Work yesterday evening but today it crashes.
If you continue to let the error msg dialog to be displayed
the WD DIAG program will sometimes display after a few seconds.
I give up !!!