I think I found a solution. I was having the exact same problems as the other posters on this thread, and running Win 7 64-bit as well. From the dates on this thread t seemed like this problem started happening somewhat recently. This led me to wonder if the problem was with the latest version of Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (1.28)
I couldn’t find an older version anywhere on WD’s site, but I found version 1.24 on cnet, right here:
That version works for me with no problems!
If anyone from WD is listening: If looks like with the latest update, you’ve broken the program for many people with certain OS configurations. It seems silly that you don’t host previous versions of the software on your own site, as this is a pretty common thing with software updates.
Anyway, hope this info helps some folks out, since Western Digital clearly has no intention of helping us.