Discrepancies and RAID 1 rebuild time

This is on my dashboard…

It appears that I have my volumes mounted given that the dashboard is reporting capacity of both volumes, but on the storage page…

2014-01-25 17_56_10-WDMyCloudEX4-16 [WD My Cloud EX4 ™].png

So there seems to be a disconnect between what is reported on the dashboard and what is shown on the storage page.  

I ran into this discrepancy just trying to determine the behavior of this NAS in degraded mode.  I removed one of the drives on my second volume (in RAID 1) while the volume was mounted.  As expected, it is now in degraded mode and rebuilding after the same drive was replaced.  It thought that rebuilding a RAID1 configuration would be faster than, say, RAID 5.  Maybe it is, but it still it appears to take over 10 hours, and the estimated time keep increasing, not decreasing.  Of course, the important time is the actual time it takes.  I can use the degraded volume while it is rebuilding, though.

2014-01-25 17_59_53-WDMyCloudEX4-16 [WD My Cloud EX4 ™].png

I hope that I find that if the volume is not mounted and if the same drive is removed and replaced while the unit is on that I do not need to rebuild the RAID every time.

RAID rebuild is a very low priority task.   If the NAS is doing just about anything else, the rebuild time will grow.

In testing out a 4-disk RAID5 with 3TB drives, the rebuild time was about 24 hours when the box was otherwise idle.

The last time my NAS decided to rebuild RAID 1 on a volume, it took about 8 hours (4 TB).  I understand that it is a low priority task, but I don’t know what else this thing should be doing given that I have tried to disable everything on it and am using it only as a file server at this point (with out much success I will add).  

I decided to remove a drive on an unmounted volume to determine the behavior of the NAS.  The volume went into degraded mode immediately.   I replaced the drive before mounting the volume.  I figured that the RAID would be degraded with the missing drive even though the volume was not mounted at the time the drive was pulled, but I was hoping that a rebuild of the RAID would not be required or go a lot faster under this scenario.  If the volume was not mounted and presumably not accessible when the drive was removed, then it seems that there could be a quicker verification of the RAID instead of rebuilding it when the same drive is inserted.

No such luck hoping that a full rebuild would not be necessary.  But now I am stuck with the following.

2014-02-01 10_05_30-WDMyCloudEX4-16 [WD My Cloud EX4 ™].png

This rebuild has already been running for 15 hours, and at this rate, it will be 3 weeks before it completes.  And this is a rebuild of RAID 1 with mirrored 4 TB drives.  What is going on?  I should add that I have very little data on volume 2.  I have only attempted a internal copy job from volume 1 to volume 2 (again with varying success) to test that functionality, so we are talking less than 10 GB of data on Volume 2.

2014-02-01 10_04_33-WDMyCloudEX4-16 [WD My Cloud EX4 ™].png

The LCD on the front panel is just flashing Rebuild in Progress with remaining time at 9999 mins.  

Add this issue to the long list of problems with this NAS.  Probably related to the performance issues that are well known.  What is becoming clear is that Western Digital, like many technology companies, has made the decision to deliver an incomplete product to market and let their customers start or continue whatever QA has been done.  Completely unacceptable.  I hope every one returns this NAS and spreads the word to not touch this thing until WD gets their act together.  It is hard to imagine that anyone is actually able to use it.  It is unusable in its current state of development, and consumers should not be put in the position to pay a pretty penny for a device presumably still under development with no guarantee that WD will fix the issues satisfactorily.  

Rebuild time is terrrible. I just bought and EX 2 8TB. Right after I had put about 2.5 TB it decided to rebuild Drive one. Ran for 3 days and was less that 50% done.

I decide to kill it by Unpluging sicne it’s the only wya tio sgut it down in REbuuild mode,  and format the drives. I thbnk it only reformated drive one and went back to rebuild on an empty drive.

With no dat on the drive, it’s still in Rebuuild more abd it has been going for around 6 hours and only @ 60%. So it seems another 4 hour to go to rebuuild nothing.

Will try after it’s done again format again abd if it does this rebuils BS, it;s going back.

How can it take 8 hour to rebuld nothing.

Not sure why it started rebuilding in the first place. Been tryingto get this drive up and working fro about a week.

Pretty fed up wiith it.

Hello guys,

I have the same problem, first the lights on the power button turned orange and the the drives were not being recognised.

I did some searching here and my drive is also re-building.

Should I return the products and be done with it all, is there a fix.

Please help me.

Polleo

Found the solution at:  http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX4/RAID-rebuild-taking-days-weeks-months-not-working/td-p/737144

Enter with PuTTY.

Type:

$ cat /proc/mdstat

See the 1031K/sec cap and swear.

Run:
$ sysctl -w dev.raid.speed_limit_min=100000

Then run again:

$ cat /proc/mdstat

and see that it’s much quicker now. Your rebuild will be done in a few hours.

This is not the first, not the second huge f*ck-up from WD regarding their MyCloud EX2. Avoid the product if you still can.

Hello!

My raid rebuild started a week ago and it’s not over yet.
The data is about 2.4Tb

Wath is PuTTY?

How can I use iy?

Thank you

Hi Jiron!

Please put in the effort yourself and google “What is PuTTY” or “How to use PuTTY”. In short, it’s an SSH client.

David