Says rebuilding RAID but blue lights are solid?

My EX2100 stopped responding to Dashboard and was no longer visible on the network. So, I did a manual power down. I was then able to get back into the Dashboard for a brief period of time and noticed it said that the RAID was being rebuilt. It said something like 0.6% 52000min. Shortly after getting that data point, the EX2100 stopped responding to Dashboard again. I can’t get in and it isn’t on the network but the blue lights at the bottom of the box are solid and I can’t hear any drive noise.

So, is it really rebuilding the RAID or has it froze up and needs another power down? I don’t want to step on the rebuild if it is really doing it…but no idea why it went into that mode in the first place.

It sounds just like the issue some of us are having with the EX4100. It goes off the network and will not respond. We have to pull the power from the unit to get it up again. And the EX4100 also rebuilds the RAID.

How long should I wait to see if it is rebuilding or frozen? I haven’t been able to get the EX2100 to respond to the Dashboard or show up on the network since a few minutes after pulling the power and restarting.

When my EX4100 is done rebuilding the blue lights are solid blue. As long as their is no one using the NAS

Since the unit was still off line and not blinking lights or drive noise, I pulled the power a second time. This time when it finished the file system consistency check, it went into the rebuild and the lights are blinking and there is drive noise. I am able to get to Dashboard now and also see the unit on the network. Hopefully, it doesn’t freeze up again while rebuilding the RAID.

Wow, took 12 hours to rebuild the RAID. That is only 1.5TB of data…

@Stealth57,

There are some Linux kernel parameters in the backend that can be tweaked to improve the rebuild rates. For some reason the values are set very low by default and not just on WD NAS, but also on other brands as well. Updating these values greatly increases the rebuild rate. Saw one rebuild go from 12 hours+ to about 30 minutes.

Cheers,

JediNite

Is there a procedure written up on this topic? I’m not familiar with how to edit those variables. Thanks.

@Stealth57,

A link like this one is a good start : https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-raid-increase-resync-rebuild-speed.html

If you were to follow tip one and experiment with the optimum settings and monitor with “cat /proc/mdstat” on the progress, then you would definitely speed up a rebuild and not adversely affect performance.

Cheers,

JediNite