Data volume failed to mount

I had a power failure during the night and now my WD My Cloud 3TB drive has a red light on the front. When I go to the Dashboard I get a critical error message.

“Data volume failed to mount  The data volume on the drive is not accessible. Please contact customer service. Code 004”.

I’ve sent an e-mail to support but have not heard from them back. I’ve unplugged the drive a few times, including a short and long reset to no effect.

1 Like

Hello,

Try calling support directly. Email support usually responds within the first 24-48 hours.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

Thank you.

I’ve talked to Support today; they suggested that I do a quick system restore of the drive via manually connecting it to my computer with ethernet cable. I’ve stuck it back on the network but I am getting the red LED light again.

I am able to acess the dashboard, which the Tech Support representative said was a very good sign that I could recover my data. I can see the main folders of Public, Timemachine and WDSmartware but cannot access them. The messages in the notifications window are:

“Hard Drive as restarted successfully”

“Data Volume has failed to mount. 0004”

Also this was caused by a power failure of the circuit that it and the wireless router was connected to. When the breaker was flipped back on the LED was red.

I am anxious to get this working as I do not have a copy of the data on the drive.

*Edit: I can get into the WDSmartWare and TimeMachine folders, but they are empty.

Also, it is telling me I have 2GB of free space.

I have firmware v03.01.04-139, which I had upgraded the first day I got the drive (5 days ago)

May I ask how this was eventually resolved. The same thing happened to me…brand new WD My Cloud, upgraded to latest firmware. When I was examining the back of the unit while it was running, the power connector came out. When I plugged it back in I had the same problems described by the original poster…red light. Was able to get to admin UI but was showing critical message…unable to mount. Since the unit was new and at that point I had not copied any data to it, I performed a full factory restore which seemed to clear things up (got the blue light and was able to reconfigure). Please tell me this unit is not so brittle that a power outage will cause catastrophic data loss. Would I have been able to recover my data if this happened and I actually had data on there? This is the purpose of the snapshot?

Hi kingbd,

This issue is not exactly resolved, they’re sending me a replacement drive but there is no “solution” to the problem per se. That still leaves the issue if there’s data on the drive and how to access it if the drive gives a red light after a power outage. I don’t have anything yet.

Update: I have SSH access to the drive. If any of your Linux aces can make sense of this I’d greatly appreciate it. Pasting my session:

login as: root
root@192.168.1.234's password:
Linux WDMyCloud 3.2.26 #1 SMP Thu Aug 22 15:05:37 PDT 2013 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Dec 5 13:17:00 2013 from 192.168.1.173
WDMyCloud:~# parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
 3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB linux-swap(v1) primary
 1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
 2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
 5 4624MB 4724MB 99.6MB primary
 6 4724MB 4824MB 101MB primary
 7 4824MB 4826MB 1049kB primary
 8 4826MB 4828MB 2097kB primary
 4 4828MB 3001GB 2996GB ext4 primary

Model: Linux Software RAID Array (md)
Disk /dev/md1: 2048MB
Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
 1 0.00B 2048MB 2048MB ext3

WDMyCloud:~# fsck /dev/sda4
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
fsck.ext4: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while tr ying to open /dev/sda4
Could this be a zero-length partition?
WDMyCloud:~# mount /dev/sda4
mount: can't find /dev/sda4 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
WDMyCloud:~# parted
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA WDC WD30EFRX-68E (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3001GB
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
 3 15.7MB 528MB 513MB linux-swap(v1) primary
 1 528MB 2576MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
 2 2576MB 4624MB 2048MB ext3 primary raid
 5 4624MB 4724MB 99.6MB primary
 6 4724MB 4824MB 101MB primary
 7 4824MB 4826MB 1049kB primary
 8 4826MB 4828MB 2097kB primary
 4 4828MB 3001GB 2996GB ext4 primary

(parted) exit
  align-check TYPE N check partition N for TYPE(min|opt) alignment
  check NUMBER do a simple check on the file system
  cp [FROM-DEVICE] FROM-NUMBER TO-NUMBER copy file system to another partition
  help [COMMAND] print general help, or help on COMMAND
  mklabel,mktable LABEL-TYPE create a new disklabel (partition table)
  mkfs NUMBER FS-TYPE make a FS-TYPE file system on partition NUMBER
  mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END make a partition
  mkpartfs PART-TYPE FS-TYPE START END make a partition with a file system
  move NUMBER START END move partition NUMBER
  name NUMBER NAME name partition NUMBER as NAME
  print [devices|free|list,all|NUMBER] display the partition table, available devices, free space, all found partitions, or a particular partition
  quit exit program
  rescue START END rescue a lost partition near START and END
  resize NUMBER START END resize partition NUMBER and its file system
  rm NUMBER delete partition NUMBER
  select DEVICE choose the device to edit
  set NUMBER FLAG STATE change the FLAG on partition NUMBER
  toggle [NUMBER [FLAG]] toggle the state of FLAG on partition NUMBER
  unit UNIT set the default unit to UNIT
  version display the version number and copyright information of GNU Parted
(parted) check 4
WARNING: you are attempting to use parted to operate on (check) a file system.
parted's file system manipulation code is not as robust as what you'll find in
dedicated, file-system-specific packages like e2fsprogs. We recommend
you use parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible.
Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems
will be removed in an upcoming release.
Warning: File system has errors! You should run e2fsck.
Ignore/Cancel? i
Error: File system was not cleanly unmounted! You should run e2fsck. Modifying an unclean file system could cause severe corruption.
Ignore/Cancel? c
(parted) quit
WDMyCloud:~# e2fsck
Usage: e2fsck [-panyrcdfvtDFV] [-b superblock] [-B blocksize]
                [-I inode_buffer_blocks] [-P process_inode_size]
                [-l|-L bad_blocks_file] [-C fd] [-j external_journal]
                [-E extended-options] device

Emergency help:
 -p Automatic repair (no questions)
 -n Make no changes to the filesystem
 -y Assume "yes" to all questions
 -c Check for bad blocks and add them to the badblock list
 -f Force checking even if filesystem is marked clean
 -v Be verbose
 -b superblock Use alternative superblock
 -B blocksize Force blocksize when looking for superblock
 -j external_journal Set location of the external journal
 -l bad_blocks_file Add to badblocks list
 -L bad_blocks_file Set badblocks list
WDMyCloud:~# e2fsck -v /dev/sda4
e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/sda4

WDMyCloud:~# sudo fsck -v /dev/sda
/dev/sda is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

WDMyCloud:~# sudo umount /dev/sda
umount: /dev/sda: not mounted
WDMyCloud:~# sudo fsck -v /dev/sda
/dev/sda is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

WDMyCloud:~# sudo fsck -v /dev/sda4
fsck.ext4: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/sda4
WDMyCloud:~# fdisk -lWARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.Disk /dev/sda: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectorsUnits = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytesSector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytesI/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytesDisk identifier: 0x00000000   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System/dev/sda1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPTPartition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.Disk /dev/md1: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectorsUnits = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytesSector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytesI/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytesDisk identifier: 0x00000000Disk /dev/md1 doesn't contain a valid partition table.
1 Like

EDIT: After a request, I made a full-blown tutorial on how to do this step-by-step. Hope this helps someone. Tutorial here.

I CAN ACCESS MY FILES!! :smileyvery-happy:

What seemed to be the problem is that a block did corrupt, but it would cause a short-read error. This can be fixed by restoring from a backup block.

This is “my” solution, may not work for everyone. But it would seem that datablocks would corrupt when power is abruptly cut to the drive. SSH must be enabled for this to work.

1. Log onto the drive, root and welc0me are the default username/password combo.

2. Make sure your paritions are intact. # parted -l will tell you this.

3. Type # mke2fs -n /dev/sda4. This will get you the filesystem, but more importantly at the end give you the superblock backup locations by block location.

4. Pick one, then enter this command.

e2fsck -b blocknumber /dev/sda4

It will look for bad blocks and ask for your confirmation to continue/ignore then write over any corrupted ones. Yes to ignore, yes to rewrite.

It will do up to five passes of diagnostics, prompting if it finds anything out of the ordinary such as file countes and errant inodes. I answered yes to everything.

When it is complete it will either report “Killed” or a summary. Type # reboot and let the drive rebuild its library. 30-ish minutes later (depending on how much data you had on it) you should have access to your files.

I stand with kingdb and am iffy about such a little thing causing this to go whacked so badly, so I am scrambling to back this up and hope that the replacement drive will not have this problem. I don’t know if this is a fix-fix, but it will allow you to access your things to get it off at least. That’s all I wanted, and hope the new drive isn’t so prone to mess up.

I hope this helps anyone out there, took me two days of coffee, hair-pulling and soda to figure this out in addition to a crash-course of Linux and making a slap-together of procedures from any other guide here on the boards. Thanks to everyone for the references.

4 Likes

Hi!

Just bought the 3TB Cloud storage, i switched it off normaly from the dashboard- after that when i switched it on again i got the same error message that You guys here… data volume failed to mount! Luckily i had no data on the storage- but if this will happen on every power failure or something- this will be a big issue.

WD should fix this problem somehow in the firmware.

best regards,

Alex