Current draw of passport, passport ultra, and easystore

The web site doesn’t list the current requirements for USB-powered portable drives. They are USB 3.0 drives that are supposedly compatable with USB 2.0, however, USB 2.0 can supply only 500 mA maximum. Unless I know the current requirements of WD USB-powered portable drives, I cannot buy them.

4TB Passport
4TB Passport Ultra
4TB Easystore

Note: I have blown up USB 2.0 ports in the past because USB 3.0 drives exceeded 500 mA.

Here is a reply email I just received from WD support. It’s not helpful.

Dear MARK FILIPAK,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Peter.

I would like to inform you that the WD My Passport drive and other portable external drives work on USB 3.0 port and they are backward compatible with the USB 2.0 port.

These drives are designed for standard USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports so it will work on both the ports, It will draw power from the ports without any issue.

Unfortunately, we do not have the power specifications documented on our website.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Peter
Western Digital Service and Support

Heheh… Interesting. If the ports blew up due to overcurrent, the ports weren’t USB complaint and were poorly designed. :slight_smile:

Hi Tony,

The ports were USB 2.0 compliant. I believe it’s much more likely that the drive jumped on the USB without staging the power-up. Nonetheless, WD should publish the current requirements of its drives.

PS: I’m sure that if I looked at the drive inside the unit (if I could open a unit to see the drive), I could find the current specification. It should be on the outside of the unit and in the unit specification also.