Connectivity of my new WD TV Live (USB-Stick and incorrect DNS)

Hello everybody

I recently got my new WD TV Live box. Regarding the player everything works fine and I’m totally satisfied with the product. But establishing an Internet connection… I have never seen a gadget that resists that hard in being connected. Here the Problem(s):

1. Since I have WLAN at home I bought a WLAN USB stick that is listed in the “tested products” on the net. When I plug that in - nothing happens… I WD TV box does not recognize the USB Stick. (No hardware problem - USB-hard-disk works on that port.) So I thought - well I may need to update the firmware first since they tested the stick on a more recent one. (I got my box with firmware 1.2.somthing and they tested it with 1.4.something.) Then I stumbeled into the next problem.
  2. OK, to update the firmware I need an internet connection - right? So I hooked the box up to my router and let the box look on its own for the right settings → that’s when I started to get annoyed a little bit. The IP it had in the settings after the automatic configuration was not one that my router is permitted to hand out… So I enterred a valid IP and the correct Subnet#. Then I tested the the connectivity and at least the IP is recognized as “working”. Yet no matter what DNS I enter the box always responds that it is incorrect.
    Honestly my network knowledge is limited so I looked up possible DNS numbers on the “status” tab of my D-Link DI-524 router and entered some numbers larger on the last digit than i saw there. No idea if that’s the correct way anyway.

So if somebody has a solution for either problem one or two I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

stefan

You don’t actually need to connect the WDTV to a network to update the firmware. You can download the firmware to your computer, put it on a flash drive and update the firmware by plugging the drive into the WDTV.

Hi richUK

Whoaaaaaa thanks - I did not think of this idea. The firmware update solved all other porblems!

Thank you

stefan

Hi

I have a WD TV Live given as a present and all works very well EXCEPT connecting to the network.

I have updated the firmware using the method you suggested and it finds my wireless network when searching.

It then shows signal strength as full bars BUT after selecting the SSID, entering the password and selecting automatic connection, it says the media player has low or no connectivity.

What am I doing wrong?

SouthQZ wrote:

Hi

I have a WD TV Live given as a present and all works very well EXCEPT connecting to the network.

I have updated the firmware using the method you suggested and it finds my wireless network when searching.

It then shows signal strength as full bars BUT after selecting the SSID, entering the password and selecting automatic connection, it says the media player has low or no connectivity.

What am I doing wrong?

PS I am using a D-Link N 150

What form of encryption / security is your wireless network using?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Tony

encryption is WPA-PSK the first one mentioned on the list after you select SSID

SouthQZ wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Tony

encryption is WPA-PSK the first one mentioned on the list after you select SSID

Definitely not WEP

Try this:

Set your SSID for BROADCAST on your WiFi device.   Then delete the SSID from your WD’s FAVORITES, and connect again.