Connect MyPassport Wireless to Home Router

Firstly, unfortunately, the MPW is NOT dual band (It should have been!) It uses 2.4G band only to connect to router. BUT once you get it up and running on the network, here is a undocumented tip from an experienced MPW user: YOU (from your phone, tablet, PC) can connect to the router network via 5G and communicate with the MPW and receive media to play, and yes this does speed things up for smoother video and it is how I always use my MPW and tablets since, I also have a dual band router

Another tip: when directly connected to MPW, be close to the MPW with your mobile device, but when your MPW is on the home network, place it close to your router for max Wi-Fi signal between it and router. I put my MPW on same shelf as the router. Your range of your MPW is now determined by the range of your 5G or 2.4G signals in house.

OK, now let’s get you connected: I am going to suggest you do a factory rest and start setup again at the very beginning. Here is a link that tells you how.

An important point before you begin:
MAKE SURE THE MPW IS TURNED ON BEFORE STARTING THE RESET. If not, you can screw up your MPW to a condition that is difficult to recover from.

As Roderick explains in the link to this user, follow instructions carefully. and if this doesn’t get you up and running it is time to give WD a call.
Once reset, and you are connected directly to MPW and have played some media files, then attempt to connect MPW to your home network. Good luck.