Cloud backup services support?

I currently use Crashplan to backup my computer and Mycloud, but that service is being retired. The most logical alternatives look like Backblaze and Carbonite.

But, neither appear to work with NAS drives. Is there a way to get these to work with the Mycloud (on a Mac) or another recommended alternative. I believe strongly in offsite backups that are easy and automatic.

Thanks.

i just found this and don’t see any responses…I am sort of astonished there aren’t any cloud backups recommended or documented. I am using this My Cloud Home as an external hard drive and now am struggling to find an easy way to back it up. What did you end up doing to solve this?

I use File Fort to access the Private User Space of the MCH and backup to an exernal USB drive attached to my Windows 10 Laptop over 5 GHz WiFI connection. Not sure about macOS backup software, but File Fort for Windows is Back Up and Save Files with FileFort Free Backup Software

I decided on iDrive. It can back up both local and network (NAS) drives. So far seems to be working well. The price is also competitive to other companies.

Thanks.

this may be a dumb question (and i work with software) but I dont understand how the My Home Personal will work with any backup services, so with IDrive, does it just recognize its “pseudo-mapping”. it doesn’t look like a traditional mapped drive to me.

When you select the files to backup, the MyCloud device shows up as another volume just like your main hard drive. I selected the folders in there to backup.

It recognizes it as a network drive and actually uses two different backup schedules to run. See this (NAS as mapped drive option): NAS backup to IDrive® cloud

so sorry to be dense, you have the my cloud home product? it doesn’t really map as a NAS (not completely at least). I do see the mapped TimeMachineBackup directory mapped but all of my content like music, photos is not viewable that way.

i think this is an issue with this new “my cloud home”. I have a case open for them to explain to me how i am supposed to back up this content (that only lives on this drive).

In my opinion they designed this to be a backup device not a secondary “external hard drive” type of use that would require it to be backed up (if it crashes i have no other place that my media content lives). It kind of baffles me b/c they pitch it as a media type of storage device, if that is the case most people aren’t storing that stuff elsewhere as well.

Did you mount the share as a network drive? Also to automatically mount it every time you restart the computer you need to set it as a “Login Item”. Here are some simple instructions: Automatically Connect to a Network Drive on Mac OS X Start Up & Login

There are others too including some by WD for MyCloud.

Maybe that is why you can’t see it? I use shares I’ve created, not the public one. Once mounted I can select each share and back it up.

While you can set up a high level folder on your My Cloud NAS as a mapped network drive on your desktop machine, there are two problems with iDrive.

1. Doing the backup on your desktop machine wit ha remote drive will be much slower than if WD offered app support directly on the NAS device for iDrive. It has GoodSync, but this does not support iDrive.
  1. iDrive’s “clean up” feature is limited to internal drives. When its an internal drive, iDrive will periodically “clean up” the cloud archive, deleting files that have been deleted from the local drive being backed up. This clears out old files that are no longer needed and effectively syncs the backup with the local drive. When its an external or mapped drive though, iDrive only adds files to the archive. Deletions must be done manually… either one file at a time, or whole directories, which supposedly will then refresh on the next scheduled backup. So the cloud archive will only grow, not be kept in sync with the data being backed up.

I really wish WD would provide an app on the NAS device that works with iDrive. By contrast, Synology does provide this would would be the better choice if using iDrive to backup your NAS.

My Cloud Home (MCH) running OS4 is very much different than the other WD My Cloud NAS running OS3 or OS5, so it appears that most of the answers are dated or do not apply because MCH OS4 is very much a severely cut down version of the other WD NAS OSes.

As for the original question by Profile - kaylwardharris - WD Community
As of MCH OS4 firmware 8.12, local access is now available as an option and local disk mapping of user content is available.

These online services are available for the MCH officially as of May 2022, of which ElephantDrive appears to be the closest cloud based backup.

Please note that these are all third party apps and WD Tech support do not have access to their codebase and do not support them beyond the most basic informational content and a basic review of their functionality.

View the Use of Third-Party Software or Websites disclaimer.
Western Digital Support cannot help with third-party software or hardware.

Which apps will be supported going forwards?

Application Support as of May 2022
Facebook Supported
Instagram Support ended
Google Photos Supported
Dropbox Supported
Google Drive Supported
One Drive Support ended
Box Support ended
Mirror It Supported through ElephantDrive
Plex Supported
Cloud Beats Support ended
Sonos Supported through Enabling Local Access
Network Import Supported

There is nothing preventing iDrive from providing an app for the WD NAS ecosystem, but they choose not to.