How do I backup my entire My Cloud Home?

With the older My Cloud, you could plug in a USB drive to backup the whole drive. Is this possible somehow on the MCH? If so, how? What about sync’ing with another NAS? Thanks.

1 Like

Until now I’ve just copy/pasted my one MCH to my other MCH and skipped all the same files but I plan to make a ROBOCOPY bat file, that shall be started by the Taskscheduler, to run automatically but I haven’t come around to doing it yet.

Thanks for the reply. So there’s no automated way that doesn’t require a computer to perform the task?

No-one? @Jonty.S?

Hi,

You could refer to the following links:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1946

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6140

1 Like

Thank you very much, @Jonty.S.

Hello Jonty.S,

as grolschie wrote, with the MyCloud an automatic backup on an USB drive was possible. The links you have posted are only for manual backups, so the newer NAS version offers no backup possibility with time control, like the old one? Is there besides the USB drive an other way to set up a controlled backup to an other drive?

1 Like

You can’t backup the myCloud using the USB. So, other option is to plug-in a external drive on a single computer on the network and back from there. Kinda defeating the purpose. I can’t believe this. I think WD is forcing us to use the cloud backup service for $$$$$. Unbelievable. I’m already researching other NAS

Some readers may have been mistaken by the semantics. As reported:

there’s no automated way that doesn’t require a computer to perform the task?

but one could still plug in a USB drive into the My Cloud Home, go to the web or mobile app and manually issue commands to copy or perform backup to and from the private user space (kddfs), but not automatically or programmatically.

No one is being forced to use any cloud service. If anyone could buy a cheaper and better cloud capable storage than the My Cloud Home, they should buy it.

Manual equals bad solution.

It is called mycloud “home” and not mycloud for “rocket scientists and geeks”.

They are forcing you to go a pay cloud service.

True

Not true.
This is just a functionality they “choose” not to provide, in a device you “choose” to purchase.

If you need to remedy this problem; you can choose to remedy the situation in a number of ways

• Return the device; and use a pay cloud service
  • Return the device, and buy a different personal NAS that provides these features
  • Keep the device; and use a pay cloud service
  • Keep the device; and do manual backups.
  • Keep the device, and buy a different personal NAS that provides these features

My personal choice is basically “keep and do manual backups”. Option “B” would involve a different NAS.

Your personal choice can be different; based upon who you are and your needs

I choose this option:

• Return the device, and buy a different personal NAS that provides these features

This is not a product for normal every day “home” users. Geeks and rocket scientists might enjoy it.

On my Windows 10 computer, I use Allway Sync to copy (one-way sync) My Cloud folders to a backup location. It can be set to constantly monitor MyCloud for changes or used on a schedule with the Task Scheduler app. I’ve also use FreeFileSync.

Why do you use allway sync instead of having all incorporate into FreeFileSync?