Can't Update

I have just had to reset my WDTV Live, however it won’t let me update the firmware. I keep getting the message “The device fails to check for new firmware update. Please check your network connection and try again.” I have checked the network connection and there is no issue, I have even managed to watch a YouTube video to prove it. Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to update?

Maybe the WD servers are down ?

Anyways, just ‘manually’ download the firmware and update via usb

the cough … ‘New 12 mths old’ firmware is 1.02.17 (this is for the new WDTV not the WDTV Live Streaming)

Hi Joey - I just ordered the WD TV Media Player for playback of videos from my NAS. The firmware install instructions indicate the following:

After you have finished the upgrade for the “Launcher” firmware, you will be given two choices: “Official” and “GPL”. Select “Official” to upgrade WDTV Official Firmware or select “GPL” to upgrade GPL/Modified Firmware.

Put Official or GPL Firmware onto the USB drive and plug it into the product.

Press the “OK” button to upgrade the firmware or press the “HOME” button to cancel the upgrade process.

What is the difference between the official and GPL firmwares? Thanks!

Excuse the capital letters … DO NOT INSTALL GPL FIRMWARE IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY plus other things i will explain at the bottom of the page.

Download the “Official Firmware” (follow steps 1,2,3,4)

GPL Firmware is for “Development Purposes” and it will PERMANENTLY DISABLE features.
With old WDTV’s that support “Netflix” … it will delete the DRM Keys and you will lose it for Good.

Now, i don’t know what will happen with the New 2014 WDTV (Since it doesn’t support Netflix) … but it’s definately not worth the RISK

Here’s the DISCLAIMER in the GPL Package …

/ *************************************************************************************************************************

• LEGAL DISCLAIMER
  • (WDTV LAUNCHER FIRMWARE)
  • THIS LAUNCHER FIRMWARE IS USED TO UPGRADE UNOFFICIAL FIRMWARE
  • WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU THAT ONLY USE OFFICIAL FIRMWARE PROVIDE BY WESTERN DIGITAL (WD)
  • IF YOU ANYWAY WANT TO UPGRADE UNOFFICIAL FIRMWARE, IT MAY CAUSE MALFUNCTION
  • AND WILL VOID YOUR PRODUCT WARRANTY. ONCE YOU INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE (THIRD PARTY / USER MODIFIED FIRMWARE),
  • EVEN IF THE PRODUCT IS ROLLED BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE FROM WD, ACCESS TO CERTAIN FEATURES WILL BE DISABLED

Thanks! That was very helpful. I assume that there has been little 3rd
party development and that WD was making the gpl firmware available
forndsvelopers?

I’m growing somewhat nervous about buying such an old product.
However,since all i want is a device for playing vidsnfrom my NAS, it
appeared that the wd tv media player was solid.

Worse comes to worse, Amazon has a great return policy. :slight_smile:

Thanks again and happy holidays!

hate to say it … but i’ve been using a Raspberry Pi 2 (XBMC/Kodi) for my media streaming (haven’t used a WDTV for over 5 months now … can’t see myself going back either)

Sigh… like i said - glad amazon has a good return policy.