Can't Map, Can't Discover, Can't see Network Shares

searched and searched the forums but can’t find an answer.

My hub can connect wirelessly no problem, use services like Netflix, etc.  However I’m trying to simply copy a file from my laptop to the hub.  I try to map a drive - it doesn’t see the device.  I try using WD Discovery, it can’t find it.  I try going the other way and looking for Network Share, despite the fact that I shared folders it says “No Storage Present”. 

The one thing I’ve read is that my WorkGroup name should be the same for the computer and device.  When I tried changing the WorkGroup on the hub to my home workgroup name, I could not longer connect to the network from the hub, period.  I had to change it back the default name WORKGROUP before I could get a connection back.

I have in the past succussfull mapped a network drive when I had a wired connection, but can’t do it in it’s current spot with the wireless adapter. I don’t feel like moving it into the other room every time I want to copy stuff to it.

Any suggestions?

one other note - all my PCs are windows 7.

I have a similar problem. A few days after I’d updated the firmware, the hub suddenly disappeared from the network. Tried the old school style by checking my “networks” in the “my computer”-folder. Didn’t work. Tried using WD Discovery - it was able to see the hub but I couldn’t browse it or anything (now it can no longer see the hub).

The hub can access the internet via the wireless network, but it just can’t connect to the computer. I’ve tried connecting the the hub to my computer with a cable, but that doesn’t solve anything. I’ve tried unplugging the power from both the hub and router while restarting my computer - didn’t work. This really **bleep**. What to do?

BTW, I also have Win 7.

interesting… I haven’t tried it wired since recent firmware upgrades so no idea if I can do it that way either. 

I’m having the same problem since I upgraded the firmware. Can’t map the drive - keep getting “nework path not found” . I only connect to the drive via wired connection. Using a PC, Windows XP. It’s pretty frustrating - tried restarting both devices, redownloading the firmware. BTW, i get an error message that the fireware has an error downloading.

it would be great if I can get some help - thanks

I do have the same problem.; I hope someone has a solution. Even after trying several solutions my laptop (also Windows 7) won’t recogize the WD TV Live Hub. 

At this moment I can only think of resetting it to factory defaults. 

Same problem here. Cannot map the drive anymore since last update.  If I check the router I can still see the device connected with correct IP and MAC number, but the device name is empty…before it shows WDTVLiveHub.

If i use this twonkymedia via my browser I can still acces all files?? but mapping with windows explorer is not possible.

I also see WDTVLive in the mediadevices folder but cannot do anything with it. 

I still can log in to the device via my web browser.

Do you loose all files if you reset to factory settings?

Can you download a older firmware file and "down"date the firmware?

The device is wireless to my router and the router is wired to my computer. I`m using Windows 7.

I still searching for a solution??? :cry:

I redownloaded the latest firmware…to do a USB update…

Only I cannot find any way to do a USB update.

If I follow the instructions I get stuck after I get to settings - click on update firmware Icon??? where is this Icon!

I can only switch on/off automatic update and do a manual check for a update…then it says firmware is up to date?

guess I`ve to wait till next “automatic” update to see if the problem is solved.

Same here I downloaded the latest firmware to do a firmware update - it doesn’t show. 

Then I tried to roll back the firmware. Same thing; the firmware just doesn’t show.  Even after resetting the device to factory settings - there’s still the firmware problem. 

I’ve ran out of options.   

If the firmware doesn’t “show” then either it’s for the wrong device, or it’s not an actual “rollback” firmware, and the version is earlier than the currently installed firmware.

The correct firmware files present on a recognized USB device, with a version newer than what’s installed already, the “New Firmware Found” will just automatically appear, without you having to hunt for it and trying to force an install.

hmm… so basically we all have “read only” hard drives until WD fixes the problem?

RoofingGuy wrote:

If the firmware doesn’t “show” then either it’s for the wrong device, or it’s not an actual “rollback” firmware, and the version is earlier than the currently installed firmware.

The correct firmware files present on a recognized USB device, with a version newer than what’s installed already, the “New Firmware Found” will just automatically appear, without you having to hunt for it and trying to force an install.

The device I have is a WD TV Live Hub. The firmware I am trying to install is version 207.17. I installed the firmware in the rootdirectory of a USB device - I did not put it in a folder.  The firmware on the USB device is not recognized. 

When I reset the device to factory defaults; the device starts updating the firmware to the latest version.  I get this warning: Incomplete firmware upgrade. Please check your networksettings and restart the WD TV to try again. You can also use a USB drive to complete the upgrade manually.

Rolling back to an earlier version also doesn’t work, I tried this:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/p/208,342/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxNDU1NTY3Ny9zaWQvNlNpODhIQ2s%3D

Sounds like you downloaded the GPL code, not the actual firmware.

Post the EXACT LINK you used to download the firmware you are trying to install.

I used this link:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

On the right there is a buton Download now. I think that’s the right button for the firmware. 

Another question: what is GPL code? Is it like third party software or something like that?

Finally it works! I tried wired internet and the firmware update immediately worked. 

Now I have the latest firmware installed. After a few minutes the WD TV Live Hub was recognized in the network. 

Try to update the firmware wired; worked for me (after quite some time). :smiley:

Thanks to orso0:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Unable-to-obtain-IP-address-Wired-connection-works-fine/m-p/245560/highlight/false#M8023

YES…worked for me to. wired the divice…first noting happen. swichting on or off anything stays the same. Then I switched of the hard way. Removed the power supply while running. Then after reconnecting the power supply the divice turn on automaticly whereafter Updating Firmware (2/2) appeared. Seem that during the last update only part one was updated (1/2) so it looked like up to date. Now system connected again with wireless USB and I could Map the drive with WD Discovery! ALL BACK TO NORMAL! THANX MAURIZE :robotvery-happy: