Can't access Private Share on My Book Live [Windows 7]

So… Plugged in the My Book Live, did all the basic configurations, defined the owner account (password protected, of course) and everything working fine, full access to the default “Public” Shares. However, after creating a Private Share I run into problems. When trying to access the Share via the Windows Explorer ( Network > Storage > MyBookLive > PrivateShare ) I get a “Windows Security” pop-up window: “Enter Network Password Enter your password to connect to: MyBookLive ComputerName\ownername [password box] remember my credentials (X) Access is denied.” I input the owner password but it is not accepted and I’m stuck here. A possible workaround this is bringing up the Admin webapp and check the “open in explorer” option. But this is NOT practical. Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance, M.

Windows will not allow you to access private shares after you access public shares.   It’s a microsoft limitation.

You need to do one of two things:

1.  Remove ALL connections to ANY public share, then try to access the private shares.

or

1. Access the Private shares by IP address instead of name.
4 Likes

Thanks  TonyPh12345,

After spending several hours trying to solve this problem, i searched in this community and rather quickly found your answer to this question: to disconnect the ‘fixed’ maps/drives: it solved my problem in just 1 minute: thanks!

Hi , need assisteance

I cannot access my share content when using a PC with windows 7 or XP but can using my android mobile, The error message is  (The network name cannot be found ) when  I click on explorer tab in My cloud shares page.

Johnmycloud wrote:

…when  I click on explorer tab in My cloud shares page.

When you click what, where?  Not sure what you mean.  What’s the My Cloud Shares page?

Hi 

I am using mycloud not my book , my mistake.

The shares are same as  folders can be created and deleted on the dashboard of my cloud.

I can access the shares/folders with my android mobile app and see all the data, but not when trying to login over the net with a Pc, I get as far as logging in and I can see the Share/folder name but cannot access the information. That when I receive a error message ( the network name cannot be found ).

More info, I have used WD desktop apllication for Pc and this does access the shares/folders and I can see the data.

I could probably use the desktop app, but it is not practicable when I dont have my Pc with me.

Thanks for your reply