Cannot access internal security camera system thru N900

I have an 8-camera Myq-See security camera system with it’s own webserver set to port 2000. I have that port forwarded in the N900 (both TCP & UDP) to the IP address of the Myq-See system and can see the cameras from outside using proprietary software. However, outside access using a web browser fails with a no-response-from-server error ( http://seastallion.myq-see.com:2000). This was working fine with my previous router, so I believe this is related to something the N900 is doing differently. Anyone know what’s going on here?

It sounds like a different port for HTML.  The software might use 2000, but HTML would use 80 normally

I know that port 2000 is correct for two reasons: I can currently access the camera system with an Android/iPhone app specifically for IP camera access via port 2000 and I could access the camera system from any computer using any web browser by specifying port 2000 when I had my previous router connected.

On your DVR, what is the HTTP Port and Server Port set to?

Which one of these is 2000? I believe the defaults were 80 and 6036.

BTW, you may want to not post your actual camera system URL.

If opening your link with a web browser it comes back with:

head ¢ý¿w\úß»ÿÿÿÿàûß»0;/pG"àûß»

So it seems like I’m able to hit your system but it’s expecting a different protocol other than HTTP.

Ok,

here is a thought…

If you use special software it works.Right?  This is due to your special software being configured to use port 2000 prior to starting communications.  Here is why…

In your router config, you have port forwarding from external ports to internal ports.  You probably have external as 2000 and internal as 2000, right?  Due to this, when you use an external browser interface it does not work, Why?

Browsers use port 80 (usually) due to being HTTP traffic.  If you are external to your network and use a browser your communications coming into your router are being blocked due to your port forward config, you only forward 2000 external to 2000 internal.  I know you are typing the port number in the link, but it might not be working for some reason.I cannot explain it

I suggest to forward 80 to your DVR/NVR and try it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you need to have active X enabled in your browser configuration also - this is necessary

I suggest to follow the instructions here…  From your manufacture

_ Forward Port 80 and Port 2000 on the router attached to the DVR, to the IP address _
_ of the DVR. *If you can’t use HTTP Port 80 or 2000 due to use or your Internet _
_ Service Provider, use a different port in the same range. When selecting a different _
_ port, forward the IP address of the router to the new port and change the settings in _
_ the DVR Network settings. You will also need to add the new port to the end of the IP _
_ address in the browser window. For example, if you use port 83, you add :83 to the _
_ end of the IP address. _

Not sure about your comment on the special software - I have to specify to use port 2000 in it, no port is assumed.

Related to the rest of your suggestion: I configured the N900 to forward ports 2000 and 83 to the DVR and now if I attempt to use a browser (specifying port 83) it connects and asks for the username/password. However, after entering the correct login, it does something for 10-15 seconds then pops up a window titled “DVROcxEx” with the message “Connect fail !”. I did try 2000 and 80, but this failed the same way and I changed to 83 in case my ISP is blocking 80.

You mention that active x must be active - I assume that you mean it must be active on the computer I am using to connect from, right? The way this worked before the WD N900 install is that if I accessed the DVR (specifying port 2000) the first thing displayed was a screen with three choices related to browser type and active x installation. I cannot get it to present this menu anymore. As far as I know, nothing has changed on the DVR nor any other aspect of the network. All that I have changed is replacing the old router with the WD N900.

I am thinking that I should put back the old router to verify this all works the way I remember.

I appreciate your word of caution, but at this point I am less concerned with someone viewing my camera feeds than I am getting this to work the way it used to. I understand what you are saying about expecting a different protocol, is it possible that the WD N900 is altering the protocol passed to port 2000? We have been accessing this DVR using standard browsers and port 2000 since we purchased the DVR system several years ago. I have even used at least two different routers before the WD N900 and both worked great. It certainly seems to me that the N900 is doing something differently.

There shouldnt be any protocol alteration. If you specify http then it will use HTTP with the corresponding port number 2000. Maybe you can temporarily try to set the DVR as the DMZ host that way all the ports are forwarded to that DVR. I saw in the q-see support site that it uses UPnP, so it may be using 2000 as the initial connection but other ports are forwarded via UPnP as well.

OK, I now have the DVR configured as the DMZ host and I disabled any specific port forwarding to the DVR. Attempting connection to the DVR with a browser seems unchanged - specifying no special port from Internet Explorer gets me to the login prompt, but no further. Using Chrome gets me to a screen saying:

WELCOME

The mobile phone was detected based on Symbian S60 2nd.
We recommend that you download this  SCam_2nd.SIS ver1.1.2.624 to install.

Which is not what I want to do, either. Does this tell you anything useful?

I just thought to check - using Internet Explorer on a Windows 7 computer on the same internal network as the DVR and just typing in the IP address for the URL (no port specified) works fine - I get the login prompt, login successfully, and see the full display. Attempting to connect thru the WD N900 from outside on two differenct Windows 7 computers using Internet Explorer (tho a different version) starts the same with a login prompt, but after I enter the username and password it just spins and never connects. Does this mean anything to you guys?

Generic Instructions Calling Out how to test ports and Active X

http://www.q-see.com/files/guides/QRQSpackWeb.pdf

please give me your model of DVR so I can read the instruction manual.  It is pretty simple.  If your ports work per the procedure below, it is an IE problem.  If the ports do not work, then fix N900 routing.  I suggest port 80 not 83, not sure why 83.  Fix one problem at a time by ruling out the other.  I would suggest setting DVR to ports 80 and 2000 and going forward.  Once the basic, instruction manual installation works, then alter the config.

#1 - Test your ports to rule out N900  See below

1. Verify the ports are open and traffic is allowed
    A. Go to www.canyouseeme.org
    B. Type the port number that your DVR requires in the box.
    By default these DVRs use ports 80 and 2000.
    C. Verify that the port(s) is open.
    i. If the port is open, you will see the following message:”Success. I can see
    your service…”
    ii. Go to the section below: To access the DVR through Internet Explorer
    iii.Otherwise, if the ports are not open, you will get the following message:
    “Error: I could not see your service on 64.206.234.34 on port (80) -
    Reason: Connection refused”. If you get this error, call your Internet
    Service Provider (ISP) and ask them to unblock those ports for you.
    iv. After your ISP unblocks those ports for you, repeat steps i and ii

#2 - Turn on Active X in order to use internet explorer

You will also need to enable Active X controls.

1. Go to the Internet Explorer tool bar and select the TOOLS option, then INTERNET
    OPTIONS.

2. Click on SECURITY TAB, then TRUSTED SITES, then SITES. (IMAGE 20)

3. Uncheck the box for Require Server verification. Put the IP address of the DVR or WAN
    IP address in the “Add this websites to the zone” box and click on ADD button. Click
    on CLOSE. (IMAGE 21)

4. Click on Custom Level (IMAGE 22)

5. On “Reset to” pull down menu, select LOW then click on RESET button.
    Click YES when asked: ‘Are you sure you want to change the setting for this zone?’
    Click OK. Click APPLY. Click OK. Close Internet Explorer. (IMAGE 23)
    If you get a error message that says the program cannot load because the publisher is
    unknown or the program is unsigned, go to internet explorer, tools, internet options,
    then go to the “Advanced” tab (RED box in IMAGE 24A), this will open the window in
    IMAGE 24B, scroll down to “Security”, and select the options to “Allow software to run
    or install even if the signature is invalid”, and “Allow Active Content to Run Files on My
    Computer” (RED box in IMAGE 24B).

Did you figure out what your HTTP port and your sever port was set to on the DVR?

When you connect from outside are you specifying any ports?

Internally without ports you’re connecting with port 80. It’s possible that after you log in, there are other ports being used for communication

Thanks for the detailed suggestions. Canyouseeme.org reports that both 80 and 2000 are open. After making all the changes to IE you list, the behavior from outside using IE is unchanged. I get the login prompt, but after entering username/pw, it spins for 30-40 seconds and then reports a connect error.

I am heading out of town for a week tomorrow - I will have to put this discussion on hold till I get back June 10. Thanks for all the help so far.

Based on the fact that I can connect from inside the network using IE without specifying a port, I would have to say that the DVR is using port 80. As I now have the N900 configured so that the DVR IP address is on the DMZ zone, wouldn’t any other ports be available?

It sounds like a windows error,  I suggest reading this about IE settings…

SEE ME

If you get the login screen, you are hitting the Q-see, which confirms router and port settings.