Can The 4 TB ShareSpace?

Can the 4 TB ShareSpace be upgraded to an 8 TB by changing the drives? I’m just curious.

TomP

llptbird wrote:

Can the 4 TB ShareSpace be upgraded to an 8 TB by changing the drives? I’m just curious.

TomP

Yes, I’ve done it.  It will not work with the “advanced format” drives (WD20EARS).  It will work with the WD20EADS drives.  WD support confirmed to me that it won’t work with the WD20EARS drives.

Sorry to barge in, does a 2TB drive of the model WD20EADS will work with 2 already install 1TB drives?

Do they have to be the same size?

Thanks for any answer

Thierry

By the way I found the drive above pretty cheap at TigerDirect:  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4545311&sku=TSD-2000EADS

Thierry wrote:

Sorry to barge in, does a 2TB drive of the model WD20EADS will work with 2 already install 1TB drives?

Do they have to be the same size?

It should work, but how you format or stripe the drives will determine the maximum capacity available.

If you use RAID5, as a rule of thumb the maximum capacity would n X smallestdrive, where n = the number of drives. So if you had 2 X 1T and 2 X 2T drives, the RAID5 would only give you 4 X 1T.

I don’t think the sharespace will support two arrays, ie say 2 x RAID1;  one at 2 X 1T and another 2 x 2T. In any case, the box is underpowered as it is so it would probably be unusable.

You could SPAN  (JBOD) the drives  -" Combines drives into a linear fashion to create one large logical volume. It provides no fault tolerance, nor does it provide any improvements in performance compared to the independent use of its constituent drives. Span (JBOD) of two disk partitions as a single large partition"

In your case you should then get  6T  of storage, but backing up would be a major problem given the sharespace’s poor transfer  speeds.

Good luck.

GuiGuy,

Thanks for the info.  I was thinking of spanning the 6TB, but I do understand about the backing issue.  I found out that the 2TB drive was cheap.

I’m planning to use it only to store music, movies and TV shows from my itunes library.  Pictures and personal videos will be kept on a different drive.

Thanks for your input.

Thierry