ShareSpace 2TB RAID 5 with 4x2TB HDDs

Hi,

I have WDA4NC20000 and was wondering if it is possible to configure this to RAID 5 utilizing 4 2TB hard drives.

Would this be even possible or this model only allows or works with 1TB HDDs?

I have 4 x2 TB HDDs and want to utilize them in RAID 5. All 4 drives are WD20EARS.

Thank you.

You can install four 2TB drives inside it but I recommend that you update your ShareSpace to the latest firmware first if you haven’t already done so.

Hi,

I had upgraded the firmware to latest 2.2.90 before installing the 2TBs. I see there is a newer firmaware 2.2.91 out now and looking at the fixes it does not seem to be related to my issues but i will update and try it.

Will keep posted.

Thanks.

Should i prepare or advance format the WD20EARS drives? It seems even with the latest firmware upgrade the unit is in the loop of formatting the drives (3 dolid days and counting) Is this normal? Also i cannot access the ShareSpace admin or WD Discovery? when i access it via IP in the browser it just shos progress bars stating time remaining and formating Drives.

Please let me know if this should be RMA’d or there is a solution i can try before RMA’ing.

Thanks,

mani21 wrote:

Should i prepare or advance format the WD20EARS drives? It seems even with the latest firmware upgrade the unit is in the loop of formatting the drives (3 dolid days and counting) Is this normal? Also i cannot access the ShareSpace admin or WD Discovery? when i access it via IP in the browser it just shos progress bars stating time remaining and formating Drives.

Please let me know if this should be RMA’d or there is a solution i can try before RMA’ing.

Thanks,

I went through the same thing.  I eventually contacted WD support, who told me that it won’t work with the “advanced format” (WD20EARS) drives.  They said it would work with the WD20EADS drives.  They were correct on both counts.

So the Sharespace doesn’t work with WD20EARS’ at all? I actually just picked up 4 of them and I was planning on putting them in a sharespace I got as a gift.