Can I use My Passport 2TB without installing any of the Software? Also, is VCD still present?

Basically, I am itching to buy the new My Passport 2TB, but I really dislike the VCD and all those softwares - so can I delete all the softwares and not use them - would it still work, and also, is VCD still present? Have they (WDC) finally removed them?

Hello,

Yes, there is not need to install the backup software to use the drive.  I don’t the 2 TB passport has a VCD.

Just to confirm, does anyone here own a My Passport 2TB and know if I can just plug in and use it without installing any software? Also, are VCD/Smartware still needed? Can I delete them and get all those space back?

Bump!

Just to confirm, does anyone here own a My Passport 2TB and know if I can just plug in and use it without installing any software? Also, are VCD/Smartware still needed? Can I delete them and get all those space back?

Hello, yes is possible use the drive without the WD Smartware, you can delete the software if you want to it won’t affect the drive at all.