Buying New External Hard Drive

I need to replace my WD My Book external hard drive.  I am interested in a 1TB and see that WD has a “My PassPort Essentials”, “My Passport Ultra” and also an “Elements” and I do nit understand the differences and would appreciate your help and which might be better for me and are there any other WD drives I should consider.

I have no need to take the drive to any other location so size and weight are not factors in my needs.  The PC I will connected to has both USB 2 and USB so I would expect to use USB 3.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the WD Community.

It all depends on your needs, if you are planning to use the drive for backup, will be better if you use get a drive that comes with a backup software included like the passport ultra. 

“see the following link for information about the portable units”

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/portable/

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I will be using the unit for backup but I already have my software for it. That being said, the Ultra and the Element are the same price so if there is nothing special about Element I will buy the Ultra

I think i had seen a seen a similar question earlier, re-quoting the same response:

I have in my possession both the Elements and My Passport, let me start off by saying that both are extremely exquisite hard drives. Elements has a sleek and compact design and is a wonderful hard drive if you are looking for something to just dump your data, but if you’re looking for something more fancy in terms of design plus a couple of data protection software’s then My Passport would be the best bet. (Let me remind you that Elements staying true to its name is the basic version in their series and comes in a single color combination of Grey and Black)

Check out this post for further reference which includes a Performance Speed test between the two and also Unboxing of each of these drives separately - Deep Bheep: Difference between WD Elements and My Passport + Performance Speed Test [All you need to know - 2017 Edition]

Let me know if you have any further doubts, Always happy to help!