Backup and system Imaging

Can I just use Windows 7 Backup to backup my computer to the passport as well as create disk images, or do I have to use the Smartware software that came with the drive?

Hello,

It is not mandatory to use WD Smartware to backup files to the Passport. You can use this drive with any other backup software that supports backing up to an external storage device. Windows 7 backup should work without any issues with this drive.

1 Like

Please advise on what to do to correct this situation. I bought this external drive to do a a system image before shipping my laptop for keyboard repair. My computer is a HP Pavilion G7-2022us Notebook PC, running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1. processor: core i5, CPU 2.50 Ghz; RAM: 6.00 GB.  The external desktop hard drive is WD My Book 4TB.Serial number of WD drive: [Deleted - Trancer]. I had the USB 3 connected using the cord WD supplied. I was able to copy individual files to and from the 4TB drive.

I attempted to create a system image using Windows 7 and got the following message:

"The backup failed

One or more of the backup files could not be created (0x8078002A)

Additional Information:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)"

appologies, doubled posted

EaseUs, Paragon and Macrium all have free versions. Acronis has a try and buy offer and in Downloads I think WD has a free stripped down version of Acronis True Image. Windows 7 backup doesn’t appear to be the most reliable. I use Acronis True Image and make the image by booting from the boot disk you can create. That way there is nothing to update or scan and mess up your backup. Basically it makes a temp ram disk and uses a Linux app to run Acronis without Windows actually running.

Joe

Nearoffutt wrote:

Please advise on what to do to correct this situation. I bought this external drive to do a a system image before shipping my laptop for keyboard repair. My computer is a HP Pavilion G7-2022us Notebook PC, running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1. processor: core i5, CPU 2.50 Ghz; RAM: 6.00 GB.  The external desktop hard drive is WD My Book 4TB.Serial number of WD drive: [Deleted - Trancer]. I had the USB 3 connected using the cord WD supplied. I was able to copy individual files to and from the 4TB drive.

I attempted to create a system image using Windows 7 and got the following message:

"The backup failed

One or more of the backup files could not be created (0x8078002A)

Additional Information:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)"

I’m getting the same error when I try to use Windows 7’s Backup & Restore feature.  My error code is: 0x8078002A.

I think I’m going to return my WD MyBook 4 TB drive to Amazon and get a different one that works with Windos 7’s Back & Restore feature.  I don’t understand why this one doesn’t; my 500 GB WD external HD works fine.