Back Up my book live?

how do i back up my entire my book live?

i can see you can back it up to another nas drive via the dashboard, however i would like to connect it, and back it up to a usb drive i have. is this possible??

many thanks.

Unless you have a My Book Live Duo you will not be able to directly backup to a USB. There is no USB port on the Live

You can “Share” the usb drive from your computer, then run a safepoint to that. If your router supports USB drives you should be able to  hook the USB drive up to your router, then safepoint to it there.

ok I get you so far… How do I share my usb drive?  

If your router supports sharing, you should be able to just plug it into the router. Then it should show up when you use the MBL Backup. 

If you are going to use your PC, then it depends on what you have running on it. What OS do you have? When it comes to the PCs, I can give you some guidlines, but I am not that fluent in Workgroup sharing. We can probably work it out though.

Maybe I will put this problem on hold until I sort my other problem out! 

have macbook pro , and also a laptop with windows 7.

tried plugging external usb drive into HH but it only supports fat 32, My book live is in NTFS as is used to back up Macbook. Oh the joys of incompatibility,

Ya, that might be a good idea. If you can only transfer at 2mbps, it will take a long time to do a backup of the MBL. 

Once that gets worked out though, you can share the USB drive through your Win7 system and backup to it. The MBL cannot backup to a Mac, I have tried.

I managed to get my book live working with time machine ok ?

Ya, TimeMachine works, and the Mac can read from the MBL… but the MBL cannot safepoint to a Mac. When you try, it shows the Mac but does not show any shares.

EvilHomer wrote:

Maybe I will put this problem on hold until I sort my other problem out! 

have macbook pro , and also a laptop with windows 7.

tried plugging external usb drive into HH but it only supports fat 32, My book live is in NTFS as is used to back up Macbook. Oh the joys of incompatibility,

nope MBL is ext3 not NTFS

you can transfer the files manually into the external drive on the network