Back up Mac and PC

Hi,

Thinking of picking up a mycloud later today and just want to know if i can back up my mac book and PC on the same drive? I know with a normal hard drive you cant due to NFTS and apples equivalent.

Thanks

Phil

Yes you can back up both Mac’s and PC’s to a WD My Cloud. For Mac’s you can use OS X’s built in  Time Machine backup program. See  this WD Support article for more information on how to use Time Machine with the WD My Cloud. For Windows you can use the  WD SmartWare software.

Edit to add: Further one should read the WD My Cloud User Guide/Manual, in particular Chapter 4, for more information on backing up a PC or Mac to the WD My Cloud.

1 Like

Thank you, i did have a read but i just needed to double check that i could back up both at the same time. I must have over looked that part if its in there. I could only see the how to back up for mac or PC and not both.

Again thank you

Additionally you can back up Linux. I have 1 Mac, 2 Win 7 and 2 Linux backed up without a problem.

PJPfeiffer wrote:

Additionally you can back up Linux. I have 1 Mac, 2 Win 7 and 2 Linux backed up without a problem.

Generally any OS (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc) that can access the My Cloud (not through DLNA) can be backed up. Typically it will depend on the backup software/app on the device your seeking to back up and if that backup software/app supports backuping across one’s local network.

1 Like

Did this work for you?

I would like to do the following at the same time;

• Back up multiple macs using time machine
  • Back up multiple pcs
  • have shared network files such as media used by both Macs and PCs.

Can this all be done with my 1 My Cloud (My Cloud Mirror)? If so would I need to create separate partitions (1 for mac and another for pc)