Audio / Video Codec missing

I just uploaded a whole bunch of video files to My Cloud Home Duo. Some play just fine, others say “Unsupported Audio Codec. You may experience audio issues” But then the video just won’t play at all. What do I need to do to fix this?

What are the video types and codecs for the files that will not play? The error seems to indicate the file you are trying to play has an audio codec that is not supported.

here is a knowledge base article with the supported codecs
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=17528#cloud2

It would also help if you can let us know how you are playing the file. In the mobile app? Using a web browser? Have you tried using Plex?

If the files have an unsupported codec they would likely need to be converted to a file format and codec that is compatible with the app or browser you are using to view the video.

Sorry, they are a combination of file types, .avi, .mp4 and .mkv mostly… I am not entirely sure what audio codec they are using. But I get the same message both on my phone and in my browser. I tried on both Firefox and Chrome. I am running Windows 10. I have not tried PLEX yet, would that fix the problem?

Also, I am just using the embedded player that comes with My Cloud Home Duo. I am not downloading them first or anything, just streaming.

The embedded player is mostly geared towards playback of personal video taken from mobile devices. It has some codec support beyond that, but mobile is really the focus. If you are looking to get into other use cases such as playing movies, or other content acquired from the web then Plex will ultimately provide support for a wider variety of content.

-Matt
My Cloud Home Product Team

I have the same problem. Had a my cloud drive before, which has broken down. Since yesterday I have a my cloud home. The files I usually have are divx-format. As embedded player is (at least what I read until now) the only possibility to stream on the tv directly, this is an issue for me. with the my cloud this was never a problem.

Dear mddimmick,

Uploading files to plex doesn’t help. Upload files are in simple MOV format from camera. It still says that the codec is unsupported. I bought MY Cloud just for this reason - to be able to store and share recordings with few people - now it is impossible. Please help.

I have looked on a YouTube review of the device and noticed that the quality format of the video may not show on the phone that you want to view it on. High quality .MOV from and iPhone may not show up on an Android. I shoot videos on the highest setting on my phone and the NAS does not recognize it. When i down load it to my phone i am able to play it. When I find the video I will post it.