Are Safepoint backups done incrementally?

I have a 4TB My Cloud and a 4TB My Book connected to the My Cloud via USB 3.0. I’ve set up a single Safepoint backup on the My Book, and have a little over 500 GB of backup data stored on both. I have the Safepoint set to automatically backup the My Cloud to the My Book every Sunday at 1:00 AM. The My Cloud sent an email notification at 2:50 AM that it had completed the Safepoint backup. That means it was transferring files at a rate of about 4.7 GB per minute, or 77 MB/sec. That is not outrageously fast, but definitely faster than what I was expecting. Does the My Cloud simply perform incremental backups (e.g. only copying new or changed files), or does it do a complete system backup? If the latter is true, I’m very impressed at how quickly it can backup the unit. Also, I’ve very impressed that the My Cloud is seen as a separate share that is accessible from the My Cloud’s network entries on my Windows and Mac machines. This is a very handy feature.

Safepoint is using a mirroring approach, almost. All the shares content are put together into a single backup directory, with the data “flat” (no encryption, no compression).

When Safepoint runs, it copies over changed and new files, and it deletes files that have been deleted

Hi,
when I have finished reading the instructions properly is a safe point no backup in the traditional sense. Since a safepoint exclusively performs a complete system recovery, the safe point is to understand rather than HDD image.

Updates are a Safe Point replaced the modified files. Therefore, a safe point of Updates are going very fast.

regard

Lucky:wink:

Thanks for the answers. So then it is doing incremental backups and not full disk backups which would explain how it could so quickly back up all of that data. Good to know.

I’m not sure what you mean that a Safepoint is not a backup in the traditional sense. Isn’t that the purpose of a Safepoint, to backup all of the data on the My Cloud? Given this, it should be nearly as good (if not better in some cases) than a dual drive RAID array?

Hi,

traditional backup means to me:
I can determine what is saved
I can determine what is written back

when I use the safe point then the first time an all-inclusive backup is made that only allows a complete system recovery. Then always the changed files are backed up to it. But I can write back even again a complete system. This is not tradionelles backup for me.

Regard

Lucky:

That’s an interesting way to think about it. However, a Safepoint is designed to serve as a failsafe backup of the contents of the My Cloud drive. The only time it would be needed, at least in theory, would be to restore to a new My Cloud if the original My Cloud drive failed. However, since the My Cloud sets up the USB drive as a share, it is possible to access files on the external drive via the My Cloud. This could come in handy if a file or folder/directory is deleted or corrupted on the My Cloud backup. It can also backup Safepoints to other network mapped drives. I believe on the other My Cloud devices (e.g. Mirror, EX2 and EX4), it is possible to specify what gets backed up in a Safepoint backup. I think this feature is not included in the single drive unit due to processor speed and memory space.

Hi,
for me it does not matter …
The Safe Point method is beautifully simple. So it should be.

regard

I agreee. The Safepoint is super simple and does exactly what it should… to provide a backup should the My Cloud drive fail. It’s a great feature about the unit.