An unexpected error occurred (error code -50)

Hello,

Recently I’ve been having issues with My Passport, over the weekend (3/11/17) I had to repair it, now it’s giving me the “An unexpected error occurred (error code -50)” error. Earlier today (3/13/17) I was using it and saving to it fine from another Mac computer. I’m not sure if it’s because I updated my OS on my main computer and the other one is out dated or not.

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to fix this issue other than going out and buying a new one?

Thanks

Hello,

I recommend you to try to connect the drive to a different USB port. Also, make sure you have “read and write” privileges from the drive permissions.

Thanks!

I realized my mistake after I sent this out, the usb multiport needs a power source and I forgot to plug it in.

Thanks again

Tips to fix-
Verify the integrity of game files.
Disable VPN.
Restart your computer.
Clear download cache.
Delete Steamapps folder.
Change download region.
Disable antivirus software.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Based on the error message you provided, it seems like there might be an issue with the file system on your My Passport drive. Error code -50 typically indicates a file or folder is damaged, or there is a problem with the file system itself.

To troubleshoot the issue, you could try the following steps:

1. Restart your computer and try accessing the My Passport drive again. Sometimes a simple restart can resolve file system issues.

2. Use Disk Utility to repair the drive. Connect the My Passport drive to your computer, then open Disk Utility (found in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder). Select the drive in the list of devices, then click the First Aid button to check and repair the file system.

3. Try connecting the My Passport drive to a different USB port on your computer. It’s possible that the port you’re using is damaged or malfunctioning.

4. Try connecting the My Passport drive to a different computer. If the drive works fine on another computer, then the issue may be related to your main computer or the OS update you mentioned.

5. Back up any important data from the My Passport drive, then reformat it. This will erase all data from the drive, so make sure you have a backup before proceeding. To format the drive, connect it to your computer, open Disk Utility, select the drive, then click the Erase button and follow the prompts.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, there may be a more serious hardware issue with the drive. In that case, you may need to contact the manufacturer for assistance.