My Passport for Mac -- ERROR MESSAGE

Hello. I bought a 2TB Passport for Mac a couple of months ago. On a daily basis, I am getting an error message (error code -50) and I’m unable to copy files to nor delete files off of the drive. Only solution is to restart my iMac which is annoying. I’ve already tried reformatting and running WD utilities which have not solved the issue. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Hello,

Have you tried replacing the USB cable? Also if possible try it on another computer.

Hi Hamlet,
Thanks for the reply. I have not tried a different cable (only using the one that came with the drive). I have also not tried a different machine as I have only one (iMac). I will track down a friend and try your suggestions. Thanks.

After ZERO help, actually, ZERO replies from WD I found this on Apple and it worked . !!!
WD My Passport Format Problem (High Sierr… - Apple Community

Error code 50 on Mac might be related to hardware issues. Therefore, you may need to reset the Parameter RAM (PRAM) or/and system management controller (SMC). However, you should opt for this option only if none of the above methods have worked for you.

Before following the instructions below, you should backup your system or important data only in order to avoid possible information loss.

Follow these steps to reset PRAM:

Turn of your Mac.
Press the power button.
Immediately hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys until your computer reboots, and you hear the startup sound TWICE.
Once you hear the sound, you can release the keys. The PRAM has been reset.
In case, all the above steps will not work to fix this Mac error code 50, then you should Check this URL.
Error code 50 - Error Solutions

Error code 50 on Mac might be related to hardware issues. Therefore, you may need to reset the Parameter RAM (PRAM) or/and system management controller (SMC). However, you should opt for this option only if none of the above methods have worked for you.
-Before following the instructions below, you should backup your system or important data only in order to avoid possible information loss.
Follow these steps to reset SMC on Mac notebook computers with removable battery:
Shut down your Mac.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds.

Turn on your Mac.
A.Reset SMC on MacBooks without removable battery:
Turn off your Mac.
Click Shift + Control + Option on the left side of the keyboard and press the power button at the same time.
Hold these keys and power button for 10 seconds.
Release the keys and turn on the machine.

B.Reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers:
Turn off the computer.
Unplug it from the power source.
Wait 15 seconds.
Plug in the device to the power cord back.
Wait 3 seconds.
Press the power button and turn on Mac.
In case, all the above steps will not work to fix this Mac error code 50, then you should Check this URL.

I’m having the same issue, I had two 8tb WD Easystore harddrives for about 6 months, then out of the blue both started giving me the “Error Code 50” - Only way to fix it was to restart my computer or eject and re-plug in the drive. Sometimes it’d go days without doing it, other times only hours. I called WD, talked them through it and they replaced both drives for me. I thought that might fix it, but nope… I immediately started getting the errors again with brand new drives. And it seems to be worse, I can’t go a few hours without it happening.

I work as a video editor and I literally have 40 other external harddrives, and none of them have ever given me this error, these are the only two WD drives that I currently own, both of which are formatted to Mac OS Extended, so it’s not the formatting. So it seems to be a WD issue.

I’ve reset the PRAM and SMC and it doesn’t fix it.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this?