Amazon Glacier support?

Hello.

I’m looking to upgrade from the My Book Live and like the cloud backup features of the My Cloud Mirror. I downloaded the user manual to look at it features and see it it supports Amazon S3 backup, but not Amazon Glacier.

I did a cost comparison of backing up 1TB for example and the cost is much more using Amazon S3 ($30/month vs $10/month using Glacier).

Does anyone know if the My Cloud Mirror supports backing up to Amazon Glacier or if it is possible to modify the cloud back up “app” to force it to backup to Amazon Glacier instead?

Thanks!

David

dszlucha wrote:

Does anyone know if the My Cloud Mirror supports backing up to Amazon Glacier or if it is possible to modify the cloud back up “app” to force it to backup to Amazon Glacier instead?

Very likely not…since glacier offers slow data transfers and very high data retrieval fees and therefore, very few people will find the service useful for their needs. The storage fee savings is more than offset by the high fees incurred when trying to retrieve typical amount of data for most users. It is laid out clearly on their FAQ page under the Billing section’s third question, “How will I be charged when retrieving large amounts of data from Amazon Glacier?” -  https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/faqs/#billing

Wow. I just noticed that in the calculator and the cost goes sky high for data retrieval that’s less than a week or day.

Please feel free to click the star right below my username on the left in the above reply to give me a kudo, if my answer helped you.