Alternatives

So, what other NASs are out there that might be an alternative to WD MyCloud. I use mine for business and need reliability. After 4 months of use, I am still plagued with problems. It’s one thing to not be able to view family photos for a few days. It’s a whole other to be unable to work and conduct business.

TBFGhost wrote:
So, what other NASs are out there that might be an alternative to WD MyCloud. I use mine for business and need reliability. After 4 months of use, I am still plagued with problems. It’s one thing to not be able to view family photos for a few days. It’s a whole other to be unable to work and conduct business.

I would never ever use MyCloud for business purposes.

The advertizing clearly goes to home users liking to see that nice lady on the white cloud :open_mouth:

Business use is a vast field with very different requirements. You find unbiased information at

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

These charts show all current products with technical data and benchmark tests.

1 Like

TBFGhost wrote:

I’ve been eye-ing the QNap TS-212E which is on sale for $120 in the US and $140 here in Canada.  Two reason; they have a printer port and two USB 3.0 ports + streaming via Air-Play to an Apple TV. This is the first Cheapest Qnap available; the rest starts at about $200. 

2 Likes

I might go with Synology DiskStation

I did. I just got this…

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS213j/dp/B00CRB9CK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396097359&sr=8-2&keywords=Synology+DiskStation

I wish you all the best with the MyCloud.

1 Like

Nice choice :slight_smile:

I was thinking along the same lines. Everyone I talk to seems to recommend Synology. Should have listened earlier…

I knew very little when I got MyCloud, in fact I was under the impression that MyCloud was one of the only options out there…man was I wrong…  for $200 bucks I get a diskless NAS that has two bays and alot…ALOT of good reviews and VERY few bad ones. The user interface seems better as well. The drive my MyCloud is being yanked and placed in this new NAS. MyCloud prob will end up in a e-waste recycle bin.  So I guess I paid 150-170 bucks for my 2TB WD Red drive. Oh well.

Is there a way to bypass wd2go and use a VPN to connect directly to your MBL? I would only ever be connecting from my laptop when I’m on the road. I would imagine since it is Linux it can be reprogrammed like any NAS. Of course I don’t have a clue how to that. I wasn’t sure if anyone has see a forum on the topic or a 3rd party software?

Hello everybody. I´m another disgusting costumer. And I´m thinking in Lacie Cloudbox 4TB. Is like WD My Cloud, but made by Lacie. Anyone had checked it? Any review or opinions? Thanks!

I think that this could be an alternative to don´t connect with wd2go:

http://www.freenas.org

alejandrobox wrote:

I think that this could be an alternative to don´t connect with wd2go:

http://www.freenas.org

Freenas requires powerful hardware to run!

I would like to use mine for home backup and remote access to pictures. However I can’t even get the blasted thing to connect to “the cloud”  so I now have the same issue as the OP. I’ve wasted long enough and if I’d been paid for the time spent I could have bought a synology with a couple of very large disks. Thanks WD. 

There are many proven NAS products. The most important aspect is the firmware and WD obviously is not competent in that subject.

Well, the Synology arrived today, about 20 min later its running. I have to say I am VERY impressed with the user interface, I even found the basic set-up easier then MyCloud.  

Opened the box, pulled out the NAS and power brick. Slid open the NAS case, inserted and fastened down the WD Red HDD gutted from MyCloud, closed up the case, plugged in the Ethernet, then power, then hit the power button (imagine that a real power button on the unit itself!).

I went to my computer, typed in the URL find.synology.com. It did most of work, I only had to select where I preferred it to get the DSM from to install on this computer. (The user interface). It installed, I logged in using the admin account set-up during the inital few screws after I typed in find.synology.com and bam! DONE!  There really are no comparions to MyCloud and this NAS…the MyCloud is way below this league.  

TBFGhost wrote:

Well, the Synology arrived today, about 20 min later its running. I have to say I am VERY impressed with the user interface, I even found the basic set-up easier then MyCloud.  

Opened the box, pulled out the NAS and power brick. Slid open the NAS case, inserted and fastened down the WD Red HDD gutted from MyCloud, closed up the case, plugged in the Ethernet, then power, then hit the power button (imagine that a real power button on the unit itself!).

I went to my computer, typed in the URL find.synology.com. It did most of work, I only had to select where I preferred it to get the DSM from to install on this computer. (The user interface). It installed, I logged in using the admin account set-up during the inital few screws after I typed in find.synology.com and bam! DONE!  There really are no comparions to MyCloud and this NAS…the MyCloud is way below this league.  

Expensive though, yeah?

Wow, I am blown away by the amount of control I have over the unit and everything on it as well as the amount of information coming back to me. How much data is being uploaded, how much is being downloaded, what the CPU and RAM usage are, the temperature of the harddrives, and a running list in the lower corner of every bit of activity going on with the unit.  There is no mystery about what it is doing or not doing.  

It was $200 diskless, but tell me, how much is your frustration worth? You can also get a similar NAS but with only one drive (like MyCloud) for around $140.  

Here is the single drive one, $150 diskless. Little slower CPU and little less RAM then mine…come to think of it, I have no idea what is in the MyCloud for CPU and RAM.

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Network-Attached/dp/B007KWLXRK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1396301825&sr=1-1&keywords=Synology+DiskStation

TBFGhost wrote:

It was $200 diskless, but tell me, how much is your frustration worth? You can also get a similar NAS but with only one drive (like MyCloud) for around $140.  

Thats a fair point !