Alternatives

That RAM is half of My Cloud (128M versus 256M DDR3) 

and slower CPU by quite a bit; Marvel Kirkwood single core mv6281 compare with Comcerto 2000 650MHz Dual Core.

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

Given those differences, Is transfer speed as good as My Cloud?

Maybe look into other models? The one I have is equipped with 512MB RAM and IIRC a 1.2 gig CPU.

I am still messing around with all the new bells and whistles this thing has. I will start uploading to it in a bit.

Currently I am getting a max speed around 8 MBs, which is the same as I was getting with MyCloud. Its fluctuating alot, but it could have to do with background HD tasks going on from the setup still.

Here is a link to a photo of the user interface with the stats.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TofjaI_u9MNjl1N0F0T1gtdHM/edit?usp=sharing

Just got an e-mail from WD. They were offering to help solve my issue with MyCloud (problems before the remote access went down), I told them I gutted the Cloud for its drive and put it in a Synology. They responded with an apology and a 25% discount from the WD store, which is cool. I will be putting another WD Red drive in this thing.

…went to get the drive, discount doesn’t work.  On a side note, with the Synology up and running for two days down, I find it works much smoother then the MyCloud with my daily use.  The way the apps work it a bit different and there is a small learning curve, but I found that once I got used to it, I liked it alot better.

…why do I keep getting notifications about people posting other NAS devices to check out but when I get here there is no post?

Side note, WD support has again contacted me trying to fix my cloud. Level 2 techs.

Because the same people keep posting that gets deleted by moderators.

1 Like

I had been tempted to buy a synology drive too.

But it is diskless so the cost is a lot more. For business, definitely worth it.

With personal use though, I’ve had my MBL for maybe 1 1/2 years now and it’s been flawless until now.  Hopefully there aren’t repeats of this server issue.

I don’t use WD’s apps or website for remote/mobile viewing any more anyway though.

Instead, I use bittorrent sync  for auto backup to mybooklive and then my free 1 TB flickr account for remote/mobile viewing and photo/video sharing (auto back up to flickr  too so everything is automatic). 

This setup works better for me than a Synology NAS cause I believe remote viewing is still very much limited by upload speed no matter what NAS you have  (with flickr, home upload speed doesn’t matter for viewing).  And flickr’s sharing options are just better than NASes.

Downside to flickr is it can be very difficult to upload photos/videos depending on what devices you have - but I got it working automatically well enough for my setup.

Yeah, especially when you consider you can just pull the drive from your MyCloud and place it in the Synology.

Probably worth having a look at the forums of any alternatives you might be considering, none of them appear fault free.

I know I am only a week into it, but mine  was up and running almost instantly and has been running with ZERO problems other then one created by my own stupid fault (logged in as admin on the laptop and as myself on the phone and couldn’t figure out why they would not sync…AH DUH!)

I can’t say the same about MyCloud, within the first week I was having problems, then I solved them with a factory reset and shut down the automatic updates, this left me with a functioning drive with some smaller problems. Things like e-mail links didn’t work.

All the little addons and do dads work just fine with my new NAS, and I can even access the “dashboard” on the fly from my mobile phone…of which there is about 500% more information and options I can do with said “dashboard” then the one WD provides.

I learned one valuable lesson, the WDMyCloud is designed to be stupid simple and stupid cheap…so it performs just as it was designed, simple and cheap.  Your not really in the control of it and it is not reliable, the by-products of simple and cheap. This is not to bash the drive too much, if someone has ZERO computer skills its probably what they want (at least while it works).

I’m glad to hear things are working out for you and the Synology 213j NAS are good products. I wish I could afford one to be honest. :), but for the moment I have to make do with what I have.

i will give up my cloud soon… seems no support from WD… only from user… what a wonderful support from WD !

I just wonder why the postings with the interesting links to NAS comparisons always are deleted???

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/nas/view

DebbieDuck wrote:

I just wonder why the postings with the interesting links to NAS comparisons always are deleted???

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/nas/view

Interesting, thank you!

I’ve been thinking of an alternative as well, partly due to problems with trying to reinstall MyCloud.exe after not being able to access the drive remotely a couple of months ago.  WD support has been supportive via e-mail, but their offer to call me try and talk me through the problem has so far not been followed up after nearly 3 weeks.  I am pretty new to network drives (and networking) so this may be partly due to my own inexperience, however.

One of the small issues about the WD Drive (and this may be common to others as well) is the need to go through WD (?) to access it. Are any of you who are running other drives accessing them directly? I presume that this requires a static DNS? Also, I noticed, when I attempted remote access via wd2go.com (with lots of security warnings from Firefox!) that I had to allow “google analytics” (usually blocked by NoScript). I really want to avoid Google’s intrusions wherever possible.

No doubt my relative inexperience is showing here, but comments would welcome.  :slight_smile:

It looks like WD NAS firmware is not soon improved :frowning: I will soon buy a ReadyNas and put the WD drive in the new enclosure.

I imagine if you searched google for a NAS that is fault free and can be setup by anyone irrelevant of their level of experience and infrastructure you will get 0 results.

Evey product I have looked at has forums overflowing with people complaining about it not working being too slow etc.  I have been really lucky as my WD works just fine, I also have some technical knowledge and I dont mess with it.

I also have a realistic expectation of transfer speeds and realise that to get good speeds you need better equipment than a home NAS which costs £120 ish.

I also understand if I pay £200 + on a 2 + bay NAS it will be loads better and likely more reliable.  Good luck to everyone having problems I hope your next product will match your expectations.

Daveyk15, imho it is not about a firmware without any small bugs but about the sad situation that MyCloud firmware is riddled with major bugs known for more than 6 months!!! And Netgear Readynas is not expensive either!

Eli_Tsigantes wrote:
Daveyk15, imho it is not about a firmware without any small bugs but about the sad situation that MyCloud firmware is riddled with major bugs known for more than 6 months!!!! And Netgear Readynas is not expensive either!

It looks like Eli Tsigantes had received firmware version 4 for beta testing  :dizzy_face: :laughing: :flushed:

I can no longer depend on WD and would like to hear more experiences about Synology and Netgear single drive.

Netgear seems to have BtrFS with checksum for data!

I think the point has been made.  I’m closing this thread.