Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

Hi @Fox_exe! I tried following those instructions above after updating to OS5 (5.18.117), and got the following error when trying to install the Debian app:

App Installation Failed

• Incompatible app package file. Please check the app package and try again.

Any ideas? To reiterate, I’m on a Mirror Gen2. Much appreciated, in advance

@Fox_exe I installed Debian Jessie on my WD My Cloud Mirror Gen 1, and after doing the reset the device has been blinking the main power light a couple of times per second and both the drive lights are blinking blue very fast for the past several hours. I’ve tried to SSH into the device but I get a “connection refused” error. Is this process meant to take so long, and if so, how long should I give it before it might finish? Or is there something wrong? Is there a way to inspect what it’s doing?

After leaving my WD My Cloud Mirror Gen 1 syncing the RAID1 overnight, I was still unable to SSH into it (connection refused) so I took out both drives, deleted all the partitions on them and began again. I’ve gotten it back to a state where Debian Jessie is booting fine, I’ve installed SAMBA onto it and configured shares, and I reckon I’m happy with it as is.

The only slight annoyance now is the flashing power light, and adding the command

echo -n -e \\xfa\\x03\\x01\\x00\\x00\\x00\\xfb > /dev/ttyS1

into /etc/rc.local doesn’t do anything.

If anyone can offer any advice to get the power LED either solidly on or solidly off, that would be a huge help.

Download this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/Other/Weltrend_MCU/mcu_ctl
And use it: ./mcu_ctl sys_ready
Also possible control fan speed: ./mcu_ctl fan_set_50
./mcu_ctl -h - show all available commands.

Possible to contol HDD leds:
cat /sys/class/leds/hdd1-blue/trigger # Get available triggers (Controllers)
echo cpu > /sys/class/leds/hdd1-blue/trigger # Set trigger

echo 1 >/sys/class/leds/hdd1-blue/brightness # Turn ON
echo 0 >/sys/class/leds/hdd1-blue/brightness # Turn OFF
Available leds: hdd1-blue, hdd2-blue, hdd1-red, hdd2-red
Power led controlled by mcu, not available in /sys/class/leds (In kernel).

I download, set to executable and run mcu_ctl with a command eg. sys_ready, and it returns

<<: 69

and has no effect on the LED.

If I run a fan command I get the response

ERROR: Worng answer: 13

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but I don’t get the expected results.

I’m running Debian Jessie on the WD My Cloud Mirror Gen 1 and it seems like the Weltrend MCM Daemon only works with the Mirror Gen 2, is that the issue?

“System ready” command is same. Difference only in “sys led on/off”.

Gen2: sys led on: 0xfa, 0x03, 0x06, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0xfb
Gen1: sys led on: 0xfa, 0x03, 0x06, 0x01, 0x00, 0x01, 0xfb

But you can try this:
./mcu_ctl 3 6 0 0 1
./mcu_ctl 3 6 1 0 1

None of the commands work, the power LED still just blinks. I had some issues when installing the Debian initially. Does the MCU_CTL program rely on any other files? Maybe I should check if there are missing dependencies?

i ran the auto install,
now i have a solid green light on my WD my Cloud gen 1
have i bricked it?

@Fox_exe Even though I can’t get the power LED to turn off with the commands you supplied, or control the fan, I’m mostly happy with the performance and stability of Debian Jessie on my WD MyCloud Mirror Gen 1. However I can’t get the disks to spin down when the NAS is idle.

Is there a way to make the disks go into standby mode properly when the system is not in use?

Hey @Fox_exe i tried the package of Debian chroot app (the one uploaded for wd gen2 target fw 5) on my mirror gen2 upgraded to latest oa5. The installation fails with message error

• Incompatible app package file. Please check the app package and try again.

Any chance to make it working?

Edit: i get to make it working with a repack from your older version.

Here it is WDMyCloudMirror_OS5_Debian_8.0-1.bin - Google Drive

Feel free to mirror in your ftp

Hello,

I’m digging up this old but still valuable thread!

I must admit that I have a passion for getting old, dying computer machines up and running again! It’s a real challenge because I’m not a computer scientist by training, quite the contrary! I know that there are engineers here, enthusiasts and also beginners.

I have a WD My Cloud Mirror gen1 (not to be confused with other models whose name may sound similar but which have nothing to do with it technically speaking) on which I have installed DSM 6. It works perfectly with this operating system. However, since it is an adapted version of DSM for the WD, it is technically impossible to install the official DSM updates provided by Synology.

This is frustrating. The NAS no longer meets the security requirements imposed by the very aggressive nature of current attacks from avid hackers. Admittedly, I have never had this machine hacked.

However, I am considering going back to the original WD OS so that I can update it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I have read the various posts in this thread talking about the similarity between the My Cloud Mirror Gen1 and the My Cloud EX2.

I have also read the feedback from the contributors about their successful/unsuccessful experiences.

I have several questions/problems:

• Is the procedure for restoring the Mirror Gen1 the same as for the EX2?
  • Is the disk image for the Mirror Gen1 exactly the same as the one for the EX2? If so, where can I download the correct image? The hyperlinks in this thread have become inoperative due to their age.

In the end, as I am not sure that the procedure described is the right one, I will stay with DSM 6.

I’d rather have an out-of-date NAS than a permanently locked one!

SOS! Could you help me? Is Fox_exe still around?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
:grinning:

Nope, i’m not here :smiley:

Each device have different instructions for restore.
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/

Great Fox_exe! You are alive!

However, you redirect me to the section on a My Cloud gen1. I have a My Cloud Mirror gen1 and not a simple My Cloud gen1. They are not the same device.

And I couldn’t find a rrecovery procedure in your Mirror gen1 section… or I didn’t know how to read or search.

Could you please guide me a bit more? Thanks a lot.

Великий Fox_exe! Вы живы!

Однако, Вы перенаправляете меня в раздел о My Cloud gen1. У меня есть My Cloud Mirror gen1, а не простой My Cloud gen1. Они не являются одним и тем же устройством.

И я не смог найти процедуру восстановления в вашем разделе Mirror gen1… или я не знаю, как читать или искать.

Не могли бы вы подсказать мне немного больше? Большое спасибо.

Oh, sorry.
Mirror gen1 = ex2

For rollback to original - remove all HDD’s and power on WD. Connect via Telnet and upload uimage to /dev/mtdblck1 and uRamdisk to /dev/mtdblk2

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror/Developing/uImage-marvell-original
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror/Developing/uRamdisk-marvell-recovery

Reboot and connect via web. You see stock WD recovery. Upload original firmware here.
After it - you can insert HDD’s back.

Note: WD can’t understand Synology disk partitions and ask you to format it. You loose all data on disks if accept this.

1 Like

Thanks a lot !

Unfortunately, although I have opened port 23 from Dsm, it is analyzed as closed when I run Nas without the disks. So I can’t connect to the Nas via Telnet once the disks are removed. Is there a way to open port 23 when the disks are not present?

On the other hand, when the disks are in place, port 23 is open and I can connect via Telnet.

And there I also notice that the two destination directories that you indicate me do not exist on the disk.

And besides, how could I put the files on the disk since it is not in the device…? I did not understand everything…

:thinking:Could you help me again?

I write from memory - I can be mistaken.

You can download files directly from my website (Using wget tool) to NAS. Or using scp (If SSH still works) or TFTP (Need DHCP+TFTP server)
/dev/mtd1 or /dev/mtdblk1 or /dev/mtdblock1 - something with “mtd” in name…
1 - for uImage, 2 - for uRamdisk.

But you can just erase mtdblock1 and reboot. Original (WD) recovery still present on device and NAS will boot into it.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1

@Fox_exe
Hey Master of NAS :slight_smile:
May you can help me. I got a MY Cloud EX2 Ultra and followed your instructions from https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Debian/

This hasn’t worked, because the firmware.bin was not accepted.

So i decided to install first DSM with your instruction:
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/

this worked, i loaded the .pat file and then i typed the command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1

so i got into recovery… as you wrote “Install original WD firmware or any of mine alternatives”
i tried to install now again the WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Debian/

So now there i stuck, Blue LED Blinking nothing working.
-i don’t get any IP, so no ssh :frowning:
-won’t reset with the 40 Second thing
-won’t boot from usb stick with the recovery thing (usbrecovery.tar.gz unpacked)
-Tried also guide from “how to unbrick 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud” guide.

my you know something i can do?

br

Remove HDD’s and try again.
Device can change MAC and IP addresses! Try Telnet and SSH.
Try web again (http/https). Clear browser’s cache or change browser.
Not sure about usb-boot works on this device, but try format USB drive with Rufus (FAT32 + GPT, make folder “boot” in root and place uImage and uRamdisk inside this folder)

Tried all you mentioned still same, only blinking blue led and no network connection at all.
Any further ideas?