Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

I know this is old…but were you able to fix that? I did the same mistake (for different purpose) and now it is gives a solid purple led straight from the start.

For Ex2 and Mirror - just extract all disks and poweron device. wd will boot into my recovery mode. Use Telnet for connect, then - erase /dev/mtdblock1 and reboot again. Device vill boot into WD Recovery, where you can upload original firmware.

Hi, I tried to install DSM 6 on ex2 ultra. It was working fine, i started to save files, photos, but next day I discovered that it was “crashed”. I can access to webUi, but… it looks error-full and even ssh is not working. What may went wrong?

Known bug. For fix - restore few files (Use Boot from USB or just connect disks to PC).
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/DSM/original_libs/
For fix it - need search chmod tool for arm and set “immune” flag for this 4 files.

1 Like

Please, can u spell out this steps, for dummies, a bit? I afraid to crash smth using wrong steps. Thx
PS how to do it using boot from usb? Or it woll better to do it using pc? Do same for both disks?
PPS chmod -R 555 folder_name is this immune command u mean?

chmod -i filename - set immune flag.
chmod 555 filename - only set read-only mode for users. Root user can bypass it, but can’t bypass immune flag.

Sorry, there is nothing else to add - I just don’t remember what and how need to do.

There were some problems. Disks were unable to open in win (only, maybe). So I couldn’t open and set an “immutable” flag (command is not “chmod”, but “chattr”). I was able to reinstall DSM and set 555 flag for the files from SSH in clear DSM. I don’t know if the problem is solved, I’m waiting for an error if it still exists. Any advice for me? Thx
@Fox_exe what system can u recommend for ex2 ultra for stable and problemless usage? Are u planning some updates for DSM for ex2 ultra?

Hello, i had ubuntu on my my cloud mirror gen2 for a long time but now i want to return to give this NAS to technically not so advanced people. I tried it by pulling out the HDDs and by flashing the wd recovery in the dev/wd-recovery folder as well as writing the mtdblock4 bin. Now i have a telnet access but still no web address or so showing of to flash the original firmware. Wnat am i doing wrong?

Nope. I sold my device few years ago, so, no any future updates.

Can anybody reassure me that I am doing the right thing here?
I’m at EOL with my My Cloud Mirror Gen 1, and concerned that the issues in the official firmware leave me exposed. I’d prefer to get the maximum lifetime out of my hardware, so going @Fox_exe’s route of an alternative seems to be the right one.

I pulled one HDD (2x 3TB RAID1) a few weeks back to serve as an emergency backup because of this vulnerability, so can I shift firmware and straight re-access the data on my newest version HDD after changing firmware? Lastly, do I have an escape if I screw up somehow, and have to:

• throw it at the wall
  • nuke it from orbit
  • launch it into the sun

…and have to buy a new NAS like a Synology DS720+? The integrity of my data is paramount, and I’d rather not do this without knowing that I have a way out, even if that way out is buying a new unit (worst case).

Was there ever a new process for taking a Mirror Gen2 and using the Debian app to run a Chroot after installing OS5? Or is still recommended to not upgrade to OS5?

Backup old chroot folder (/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_progs/debian or something similar).
Install this: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Apps-OS5/WDMyCloud_Debian_8.0-1.bin
Replace chroot folder to old one. Disable and enable app. Try to use.

1 Like

try using different browers, clearing cache. etc…

So: What made you roll back?

fair enough. :wink:

If there is no Firmware version - thats means config partition contains wrong/damaged/outdated configs. So, reupload defaults:

cd /tmp
wget https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Original/config_mtd5_default.img

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock5 2>/dev/null
dd if=config_mtd5_default.img of=/dev/mtdblock5 bs=2M

Then reboot and try again install official firmware.

1 Like

guys I read you for a few weeks and I have a doubt:
But if I take the MyCloud’s hard drive and I mount another for tests …
In the end if I put the device back back as before? or do I still have to reinstall all the software?
Please take this doubt

First, This is your DATA. If your just testing around with a spare drive,. good. You install from whats called CLI or command line interface, oldschool call it console. i call it terminal. or SSH, All if FOX Firmware from what i have used are safe. always default back to original. no problem.

1 Like

Hello Fox_exe,
I am a “complete noob” in this, but wanted to have a “file sync” app on my GEN 1 WD My Cloud (Firmware version 4).
I downloaded all your files (from: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/), unpacked these and ran the ./install.sh
After sometime, the drive booted and the IP had changed. I can access (using SSH) the drive on the new IP address, but there is nothing else I can do. I tried accessing it via the WebGUI, but the IP is not recognized. Only SSH login works.
I have ZERO debian experience.
Is there a quick way I can get this alternative firmware installed?

The only thing I can see is the ROOT directory:

Please (HELP), need t get this drive to work again. Hopefully there is a “simple” solution I can follow to get things working again.

THANK YOU
KUDOS everyone!

your in the /dev directory. you need to type cd ~ then ls and run the program runme after reboot. also use putty. could be the console your using. also it would help if you said what mod your installling, in that dir there are about 6 different mods.