Aaand - It's Gone

I have 3 Passport Drives. 2x 1TB and 1x 2 TB.
1 Died Many Files lost.
Bought 2 more. 1 main to use and 1 to backup main.
Stored years of work files on main as well as thousands of family photos etc.
Main Dies.
Continue using Backup then it fails. Tough to get it to show up and the odd time I can copy 1 or 2 files but it might take up to 15 minutes.
Tried some things in these forums ( before signing up) to no avail.
There is not enough years left in my life to recover these files.
Wife is pissed.
Boss is pissed.
After looking at these forums, apparently I’m not the only one.
I need external drives. Does anybody have any recommendations on what brand to buy?

I’ve had the same problem with three passport drives. Presently trying to find repair software. Plug drive into the computer and it nolonger shows up Latest purchase was a Seagate drive. Good luck.

My Seagate 8TB external is working just fine.

Working with tech support on my lesser of an issue 4TB Element. Intermittent failure.

" I too have been having the same issue.

ike32mike:

it will randomly disconnect whether it’s being used or not being used

Just spoke with tech support and have done the Quick Drive Test (which passed), and am now doing the Extended Test. I will forward the results back to their email they have sent to me.

I bought two identical 4TB WD Elements 25A1’s and noticed fairly quickly that one of them was having issues. I tried three different computers, and used the other IDENTICAL cord from other 4TB WD Element drive with the exact same results for the drive in question.

I even went so far as to call the drive “might be bad drive” so that I could be for certain not to confuse the two, since they are 100% identical.

I have come across many people having this issue with brand new, out of the box, drives.

I personally have had a very good record with WD for quality.

500GB WD
1TB WD
2TB WD
4TB WD x(2)
8TB WD

I just feel like this is a known issue.

#: ref:_022019-13632682

The case number is: 13632682"

Looks has bad sectors or fail head. Try to use software to recovery it or find data recovery service for help.