Files just randomly disappear from WD my passport Ultra

Hi there,
i noticed this week that files that I am looking for seemed to just have vanished off my WD my passport Ulta drive (I have the 3Tb one).
so I start to google and found a thread on here from 2012 where a whole lot of people have the same issue! seriously who makes a storage device that just randomly loses the items being stored??
Shame on you western digital! It was not a cheap drive either! and I specifically chose western digital because you are renowned for good quality reliable products.
I run my own business from home, and now how am i going to get my work back??
There is obviously an issue with your drives. This needs to be rectified and made right!
I paid good money for a product that does not even fulfil its basic function! to keep my files stored on it. Anyone else having these issues recently? I mean more recently than the 2012 thread?

Now that you mention it, that has recently happened to me. I have the My Passport Ultra 2TB. I purchased 2 of them last year: one was to hold my files that I work on and the other was backup. A few days ago I noticed that I was missing a file that I worked on recently (this is my home embroidery business). Yesterday, I could no longer get into My Passport at all. I went to the WD utilities and ran all of the test and it said the Passport was fine but still I cannot get into it and it tells me that it is corrupted. I didnā€™t think it would be that big of a problem because I have the other one as backup. I can get into the other one just fine, only to find nothing has been backed up, even though I set it to backup once a month and I get notifications each month that it has backed up. I went to my PCā€™s control panel and it says the Passport is doing fine. I exchanged the two cables, in case that was a problem, with the same results. Now Iā€™m hoping to somehow get the files (including my company bookkeeping for a year+) back.

I feel your pain. Iā€™ve had an entire partition vanish recently, on top of miscellaneous files here & there. Even recovery software canā€™t find it. When you shell out the money for these devices, under the assumption that your files will be protected [within reason] itā€™s pretty frustrating when the device itself is the threat to the data.

Caveat Emptor! . . . Can You Spell F-R-U-A-D-U-L-E-N-T Misrepresentation?

Iā€™d been working with a recently purchased 1tb external hard drive quite successfully for a number of weeks until folders of irreplaceable content simply vanished from the device. Having worked with digital media for more than 15 years now, and in completing an online/phone session with Western Digital representatives, Iā€™m incredulous that WD appears to be producing and marketing devices with critical operating defects!?!

Tragically for me, a fairly routine internet search suggests Western Digital has a rather illustrious history with this issue, and . . . apparently excuses their corporate complicity by maintaining, ā€˜allā€™s fair in love, war, and businessā€™. Whereā€™s the humanity?!? Honestly, whereā€™s the humanity?!?

Not cool . . .

Yup. My data is still disappearing daily. WD tried to contact me telephonically once, I missed the call. Then resorted to email communication but not to resolve the problem- only to try and schedule more phone calls, they asked me for available time slots where they could call me, when I have them a few I was told itā€™s not within their time zone!! If your product is losing irreplaceable data that my livelihood depends on, Iā€™m sorry but you flipping stay up late then and call me!! Pathetic service. Will NEVER support WD again!

Debbie-Lee Cheetham
083-678-3338

Love & Light

ā€œBe the change you wish to see in the worldā€ - Mahatma Ganhdi

1 Like

Hi @DeeLee - I just wanted to let you know (if you donā€™t already), Iā€™d reintroduced your posting of this thread to the WD Community at:

Iā€™d be very interested in knowing to what extent, if any, youā€™ve been able to address or resolve this issue involving ā€˜disappearing filesā€™ . . . ?!?

Brian

Hello,

I got the same issue, I downloaded a couple of stuff earlier and it was there, but when I unplugged it earlier and plugged it again on my laptop the whole folder of the files I downloaded suddenly disappeared. Please help how to fix this issue.

Thanks!

It looks like WD is ignoring this thread. Iā€™m having the same problem and I bought My Passport in 2022
So it still appears to be an issue that has yet to have a resolution.

What good is an external hard drive if it wonā€™t save data? I canā€™t afford to have data just vanish like that. I havenā€™t had my drive for very long so there wasnā€™t a ton of data on it, but I purchased a 5TB drive because I need to store video files. I produce videos for a livingā€¦

Please, someone from WD address this thread. Thank you!