5 tb WD My passport external hdd makes noise

I bought the hdd in December, 2020.
It has stopped working suddenly and is making a lot of noise if connected.
Can it be fixed using the repair utility application of WD?
Or should I contact wd support for a warranty?

Normally, the storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damages or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are numbers of different hard drive clicking sounds with different reasons. Most of the times there are 4 probable causes for noise of a hard drive:

1. The insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive. It mostly happens when you have connected multiple devices (including the HDD) to a single port.
  2. Physical depreciation of the hard drive which results from either simple issues or damage such as a physical shock or trauma.
  3. A hard drive may be failed due to the faulty data cables, or incorrect drivers installed.
  4. A crashed hard drive.

If there is a noise, then you can try the subsequent fixes which people have used to overcome the issue:

1. Check whether the hard drive is getting enough power or not. You can do it by plugging the power adapter directly into the power supply.
  2. Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive. Now, if it does not make any noise, then the data cable might be faulty.
  3. In case the drive still makes noises, then there is a high possibility the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Further, if your drive is under warranty then try contacting the customer support to claim the warranty!

Hope it will help!

1 Like

Thank you mike.
I am going to file a RMA because it still makes noise.