My Passport Drive 2019 Making Weird Sounds and not starting

I bought a 2 TB WD HDD 2 days back and copied some data on it, to my surprise it isnt reading and making funny sounds when connected,

I have uploaded the audio file here: WD.mp3 - Google Drive

The drive doesnt boot, I tried opening it up so that I could attach it to a enclosure but it comes with a Micro-B slot embedded on the drive itself. Can anyone please help fix this

Drive: https://www.amazon.in/Passport-Portable-Automatic-Encryption-Protection/dp/B082MH28G3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=31PAO18ZFY76L&keywords=wd+my+passport+2tb&qid=1578058172&sprefix=wd+my+p%2Caps%2C314&sr=8-4

Hi sood1992,

Thank you for writing to us and really appreciate you that you linked your drive noise concern with a permalink.

We heard the drive noise and it seems the platter is scratching by the spindle.

Please refer to the link mentioned below and check the drive’s health.

“How To Tell If The Noise or Sound An Internal Drive Makes is Normal”:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16309/kw/noise

“How to check if a WD drive is damaged or defective”

“How to Get an RMA to Replace a Defective Product, Obtain a Power Supply, or USB Cable for a WD Product”

If you need any help, please contact us on given below contact details.

support.wdc.com

Contact Support

List of WD support phone numbers.

Hey, did you work out a solution to this problem? Mine has just started doing the same thing.

Cheers

Hi, Unfortunately the drive is a toast, I tried to send it fr recovery to the best of the guys but no solution.

Hopefully you didn’t trash the drive yet. I was experiencing the same problem (noise, wouldn’t initialize in disk management). It’s a physical problem with the drive head not retracting for some reason (eg, premature unplugging, jarring) and therefore the disk not being able to spin.

there’s a youtube video by an English techie who shows you how to fix it with a T6 screwdriver and curved needle nose forceps:

You have to open it up and gently pull back the head into the normal resting position while gently spinning the disk. Mine works again!

Good luck.