4TB My Passport Ultra extremely slow transfer rate

Hello, about 2 years ago I purchased 2 identical 4TB My Passport Ultra drives. I use one as a main drive and the other as a backup. I hardly use them, just every few months to backup data and they both had been working just fine until yesterday. I was trying to copy a 1.6 GB file to the main drive and noticed that the initial 1GB or transferred very fast but then the rates would drop painfully slow to 2MB/sec or so. I then disconnected the drive and connected the backup drive and copied the same file. The file finished transferring in just 5-6 secs. Obviously there is some problem with my main drive. I just can’t figure out what it is though. I even checked the policies on the drive and it was set to quick removal (which is the default on Windows 7 and that is what it is set to both my drives). I even tried the Better performance option but did not have any luck.

Any suggestions?

Hi rahulgarg7,

Have you tried to change the USB cable?

Hello, Thanks for your response. I had given that a try but after receiving your message I gave it a try again. I also tried a few additional things but the results have stayed the same.

Bad drive with its own cable on USB port 1: Slow transfer rates
Bad drive with other cable on USB port 1: Slow transfer rates
Bad drive with its own cable on USB port 2: Slow transfer rates
Bad drive with other cable on USB port 2: Slow transfer rates

Good drive with its own cable on USB port 1: Quick (as expected) transfer rates
Good drive with other cable on USB port 1: Quick (as expected) transfer rates

Hi rahulgarg7,

It seems like the drive has gone bad and you should replace the drive if it is under warranty period. Please refer to the link given below in order to know how to apply for the RMA.

Thank you. I visited the website and attempted to check the warranty status. It showed as “Out of Region” and I then I entered the details under the Expiration Date column. I did not receive any confirmation on the website but got an email titled “WD Product Registration”. In there it had listed the warranty date as September 23, 2019. I am confused if it’s still in warranty or not and if someone will review the information I had entered and email me separately regarding warranty.