4 TB G-Raid won't mount MacBook Pro

OK This is weird.

I have a G-raid 4TB Drive that I have been using for video editing on a 2015 MacBook Pro Both were purchased new in November 2016.

The drive functioned perfectly up until today. It spools up when I turn it on(lights and Fan), but it does not appear on my desktop, or in the finder, or in the disk utility , or in the system report (usb or Thunderbolt). I have even purchased and tried a new cable. No luck.

I suspected a failure in the drive however it seems to mount just fine on my 2011 mac book pro.

So you’d think it was the thunderbolt ports on the 2015 Mac book. Funny thing is I have ac1TB G-Tech FW 800 drive, when I plug it into the 2015 Mac book pro via a FW to thunderbolt adapter, this drive works fine in the thunderbolt port.

I spent an hour or so talking to Apple-care with no result. They suggest I reinstall the OS. So I’m backing up to another drive before I initiate this procedure.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue I’m having?

Cheers,
Bob

There might be a an issue on the hardware profile of the Mac Book. Also make sure it is plugged into AC when using drives, sometimes over battery only you get poor results.

One thing you can try doing prior to a reinstall of the OS is to reset the SMC And the NVRAM on your system.

There are articles on how to do so directly from Apple.