2.30.172 (11/16/2017) Firmware Discussion

If your Dashboard shows you have v4 firmware, then you have a gen1 device. The latest firmware for that appears to be 4.05.00-320

Driver? This is the MyCloud firmware, that runs the MyCloud. It’s not a device driver.

Once again WD’s insistence on using a lower number firmware version for the newer single bay My Cloud confuses an end user. Not the first time someone assumed that v2.x firmware was newer than the latest v4.x firmware on their first gen My Cloud. Or someone assumed v4.x was newer than v2.x.

To clear up the confusion, there are two versions of the single bay My Cloud. The initial version, which most here generally call; first generation and which uses the v4.x firmware. Then WD released a second generation version of the single bay My Cloud that uses different hardware and which uses the v2.x firmware. Confusing? Yes.

Like Cpt_paranoia indicated there is a separate discussion thread for the latest v4.x firmware.

This reply is getting messy. First off, I used the wrong word, this is the device firmware I’m talking about. As I said above.

The Dashboard says the firmware is up to date at 2.11.168. The firmware tab says “Last update December 7, 2017” When I click “check for update” it says “The My Cloud system firmware is up to date.”. After the 40 second reset, the unit still won’t accept this 2.30.172 file.

I don’t see any reference to version 4.x software.

I searched the Support website for the PN on the back of the box. It came back with the page for the older models, The My Cloud Mirror, not the “My Cloud Mirror Gen 2” page. I got it at the end of 2014; were the Gen 2 models out then?

If you have a Mirror, the firmware you are trying to install will be incorrect. Even though the firmware is essentially identical, I think the installer has an identifier in it, and it will not match your Mirror.

The Mirror has two HDDs, and is therefore twice as wide as the basic MyCloud. It also has a pop-up lid. Does this sound like yours?

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=907#WD_downloads

The latest firmware for the gen1 mirror is 2.11.168

So your MyCloud Mirror device firmware is up to date.

To further the firmware confusion, I have a vague recollection that the v2 firmware came from the Mirror and higher models, and they have always used v2 firmware. But different v2 firmware to that used in the gen2 models…

All very simple, isn’t it…?

Yes, it has the pop top cover and the two disks with RAID storage was a feature I was looking for.

Like I say, I entered the model number and WD took me to the My Cloud Mirror page. It’s listed at the bottom of the page.

WDBZVM0040JWT Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0 x2 4 TB

I started looking at this because a friend of a friend told me about the betanews article about a “hardcoded backdoor” and get this security fix Right Now. Betanews lists this model as affected.

Right; in that case, you are trying to load firmware for the wrong device, and the wrong generation.

Your gen1 mirror firmware is as up to date as you can currently make it.

There’s a dedicated subforum for the mirror. You may want to watch out for firmware update announcements there: