0x8007003B Windows 10 & WDMyCloud

The Safepoint tab indicates you have a first generation v4.x single bay My Cloud. The first gen My Cloud Dashboard does not have the Max SMB protocol option that the second generation v2.x single bay My Cloud has. And no, one cannot upgrade the v4.x firmware to the v2.x firmware.

Unofficially one could use SSH (assuming one has enabled SSH in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section) to edit the Samba configuration file to force using a specific SMB version. See this link which has a section detailing how to edit the Samba configuration file.

Use the following at your own risk!

First option: Change the SMB setting within the My Cloud by using SSH to connect to the My Cloud then edit the “smb-global.conf” file located in the “/etc/samba” folder. One can use WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/download.php ) to make the process of editing the file easier. It is recommended one make backups of any files they edit via SSH.

1. Connect via SSH to My Cloud with WinSCP (or similar program).
  2. Navigate to the “/root/etc/samba” subfolder.
  3. Optional: Create backup of “smb-global.conf” file.
  4. Open (or Double click on) the “smb-global.conf” file.
  5. Scroll down the text to the “max protocol = smb2” entry. Change that entry to: “max protocol = smb1” or “max protocol = smb3”
  6. Save the changes.
  7. Close out of WinSCP (or similar program).
  8. Reboot the My Cloud (via the Dashboard or SSH reboot command).

After reboot check with Windows 10 File Explorer to see if the My Cloud is now listed under “Computer” in addition to “Media Player” and “Storage”. You may have to hit the Refresh button (or F5 key) to refresh the page.

Note: Unknown if this change to the “smb-global.conf” will be retained when or if the My Cloud firmware is updated or if a My Cloud reset or system restore is performed.