Wrong Permissions 999 drwxr-xr-x - 18TB Drive

Background:
I was able to successfully change a 4TB my cloud drive to 18TB. All the data was backed up and deleted from 4TB before cloning to the 18TB drive. Then booted to my cloud with no issues.

Where I messed up:
Once I confirmed all worked and showed the whole 18TB, I created a few shares and then pulled the drive out of my cloud enclosure again. Reconnected to linux live CD and connected it as a sata drive to transfer about 12TB of data to the drive.

• I did this because most the data was backed up on the PC I connected it to. I knew Sata would be faster. I didn’t want to stress the my cloud PCB with 12tb of transfer or my network. Plus I was able to mount some 120mm fans around it so I keep the new WD red 18TB drive at a cool 25c the entire time I wrote 12TB to it. I thought everything worked because after the first 300GB I pulled the drive out put it back in enclosure and I could read all the files fine, so I proceeded to copy the rest of the 12TB

Current Issue:
After about a week I finally realized I don’t have permission to change name, write to anything in the folders I created. I was using the drive for listening to music for a few days no issues until I realized I can still write to the share. But if I can still create a new folder in the share folder root which has full permissions. But I can’t change the folders that were copied during the bulk transfer with sata.

With SSH I can see these folder show “drwxr-xr-x (#) 999 999” these folder created connected to linux via sata cable.

The folders I created correctly show “drwxrwxrwx (#) myusername share” these folder where created from mounted share while drive was connected to my cloud pcb through the network.

Example ‘SSH ls -ll’ output:
drwxr-xr-x 2 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder1
drwxr-xr-x 6 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder2
drwxr-xr-x 9 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder3
drwxr-xr-x 4 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder4
drwxrwxrwx 11 myusername share 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder5
drwxr-xr-x 33 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder6
drwxr-xr-x 130 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder7
drwxr-xr-x 43 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder8
drwxrwxrwx 2 myusername share 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder9
drwxr-xr-x 4 999 999 4096 (Timestamp) Sharefolder10

What I tried:
I tried chown -R username:share and chown -R 777 which makes the folder match the other output. But that doesn’t change the drwxr-xr-x part of the output I’m getting.

“drwxr-xr-x (#) myusername share”

Please HELP!

Can I fix this without transferring all the files again? If I have to connect it to Linux again I can do that pretty easily. SSH is fine too. I just don’t want to have to do 24 hours of transfers again which will probably be even longer if I do it through the network.

Sounds like you need to change the permissions (chmod) in addition to changing the owner (chown).

You may have better luck using a GUI SSH interface program like WinSCP if using terminal commands are an issue. An example of how one can use WinSCP (right click on file or folder and select Properties (or press F9)) to change a file/folder’s owner and permissions.

WinSCP_Property

1 Like

This suggested worked great I was able to set the permissions using the above and seems to all be working now. Hopefully someone else will find this post if they ever have the same issue.

:frowning_with_open_mouth: Does OS5 allow you to use 18TB disks ?!. Amazing.

I had problems at first but I reformatted the partition to 15tb with a liveCD then put it in enclosure 0s5 recognized it. After that I took it out again and resized the partition with a liveCD and put it back in the enclosure and it could see all 18GB.
It might have worked by just formatting the to 18GB manually I don’t know. All I know is that it keep formatting under os5 would fail. Somewhere I read only 16TB was supported so that why I tried to manually change it to 15tb.
So you not sure what worked but it did work.