Why WD servers to connect to my cloud

Any communication between your My CLoud and WD depends on several factors. Primarily that communication is due to remote access; using WD software, using MyCloud.com web portal, or using the WD mobile apps. There are also two other times the My Cloud may “phone home” to WD; checking for updated firmware and the Product Improvement Program.

If one isn’t using the remote access feature then one can turn off remote access through the Dashboard > Settings > Cloud Access > Remote Access = OFF. Further one can, through the Dashboard, turn off the automatic check for new firmware (Dashboard > Settings > Firmware > Auto Update > Enable Auto Update = OFF) and one can turn off the option to send product improvement information back to WD (Dashboard > Help > Support > Product Improvement Program > Product Improvement Participation = OFF).

As indicated by a previous post above, when your My Cloud is configured for “port forwarding” mode supposedly no data (other than the DDNS query) passes through WD or their servers. A similar method apparently takes place when using the unofficial CloudDAVMod for remote access and remote drive mapping when the My Cloud is in port forwarding mode. One can also use the insecure FTP method for remote access to their My Cloud which also does not go through WD.

1 Like