How to access Dashboard remotly throgh browser

Hi
I just bought new WD MyCloud drive and it is working fine.
Is there any war to access Dashboard remotly from the browser or other mean.

thanks
ish

Not sure what your question is. Are you asking if you can access the WD My Cloud Dashboard remotely from a remote location? If so the answer is no. The My Cloud will reject any connection to the Dashboard that originates outside of the local network.

About the only way to access the Dashboard remotely would be to use SSH to edit the firmware to allow for remote Dashboard connections, or to setup a VPN tunnel into the local network containing the My Cloud.

If you have not already done so it is recommended one read the My Cloud User Manual which explains how to use the My Cloud device and its features/options.

There is no easy way of accessing the /UI webpage outside your network
even if you port forward the mycloud on port 80

When you go out of your network and try to connect you will be shown a lovely 403 access denied page

I have made a workaround for this but it requires you have a few things:
1: knowledge of linux os and terminal commands
2: spare box to dedicate as a vpn server
3: time & money to leave vpn on
4: access to your router to port forward it for the vpn

What i did was made my own L2TP vpn witch is encrypted with IPSec for security
when i am outside my network i connect to my vpn and its just like im in my house and i can see the dashboard from anywhere. Im not going to go over how to make a vpn as plenty of guides on google and a simpler PPTP vpn will also work just for this simple purpose and its easier to make.

Basically all Bennor said :slight_smile: i use ssh and my vpn a lot

1 Like

No need VPN or edit anything. Just use ssh tunneling with Putty or any ssh client. Then you can access from your browser on the remote location i.e. http://127.0.0.1:8080. Also possible on mobile, use apps such as connetbot for Android, IOS just search the store.

See my previous posts here:

1 Like

Using SSH tunneling is a catch 22 which you do point out in the linked threads. Opening up the Dashboard to remote access presents security issues that not everyone will realize or understand the implications of. Doing so through SSH carries added risk that the entire My Cloud firmware/OS could be compromised in addition to the Dashboard being compromised.

The major plus with VPN, beyond separating the security from the My Cloud and putting it on another device that is hosting the VPN server and potentially having a more secure tunnel to the My Cloud, is the ability to treat the My Cloud just as if you were on the local network where the My Cloud resides including potentially being able to remote map Shares from the My Cloud and accessing the My Cloud remotely with DLNA clients.

Opening anything to the internet has it’s own implications even VPN. I deal with enterprise security daily at work and even used to have OpenVPN modded and running on MyCloud linked to several devices but shortly removed. Now MyCloud SSH tunnel is my main point of entry into the internal network behind my router to RDP, VPN, DLNA and such. I would rather risk MyCloud containing most of my pre-encrypted backups being compromised (very most unlikely) than the rest of the devices containing the “actual” data itself within the network including those externally linked via VPN. If SSH is compromised (again very most unlikely), there’ll be no footprint left behind because all the tunneling being done remotely. But if my VPN gets compromised, the other linked devices tokens could get exposed too. Of course this can be avoided depending how’s the setup or with a dummy VPN server but you still need one VPN server box to operate 27/4 to gain access. SSH tunneling also gives me the opportunity to have only MyCloud+router powered 24/7, I don’t need my other linked devices to be awaked not till I send magic packets to each or all of them to wakeup.

Security is a vast knowledge, I’m making it simpler for the OP not to get paranoid.

I would disable root login for SSH if opening to internet. And only allow non-admin users.

Yes disabling root login will help too but need to ensure root is accessible when required i.e. with sudo.

For those who’s serious about opening SSH/SFTP/FTP on MyCloud to the internet, check out my webhosting mods post on how to secure WDMyCloud:

With just my simple perl code (source provided), attempts with x-times fail login to either SSH/SFTP or FTP will permanently block the originating IP xxx.xxx.xxx.*. I have tons of such attempts daily in my logs. There’s also a safety feature incase you got yourself locked out remotely.

For WD My Cloud Gen 2 do you have something ?

Thanks.

I’m now using ipset via iptables to block but unfortunately I don’t have the Gen 2 device to support.