What would trigger a RAID rebuild on an EX2?

I’m running a 6 TB RAID 1 configuration on an EX2. Today, in the middle of a backup, the NAS unmounted, and in the admin panel I see that the RAID volume is rebuilding. I have autobuild turned off. What would trigger this?

By the way - it says it needs 58 hours to complete…

Hi @Raygal ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Hi, yes, it’s part of an ongoing support case that started with a red power indicator - this has been going on for some time, and I’m actually quite frustrated.

Well, the problem is resolved - but I’d still like someone to suggest what might trigger an automatic rebuild when I did not replace any disks and I had auto rebuild turned off

And I’d like for you to provide the following…

• NAS model number. My Cloud EX2 Ultra
  • NAS firmware version. 5.27.157
  • NAS P/N number. WDBVB20120JCH-20
  • HDD model numbers. Not going to open the machine up for that - they’re WDD Red for NAS, 6TB each (x2) in RAID 1 configuration.

Enable SSH, then run the following commands, one at a time, and post the results.

• smartctl -a /dev/sda;
  • smartctl -a /dev/sdb;

How to Access WD My Cloud Using SSH (Secure Shell)

The WDBVB20120JCH-20 P/N you provided can’t be correct.

A model code is embedded within the P/N and there is no BVB2 model code. The closest match is BVBZ. Therefore, the corrected WDBVBZ0120JCH-20 P/N is a 12 TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra.

You are uindoubtedly right about the P/N

Can’t access via ssh - it doesn’t like the “welc0me” default password

Yes, did that, configured the password. It doesn’t ask for a user name, only a password. It doesn’t like the NAS password or the one I configured for ssh. says “permission denied”

BTW it doesn’t accept welc0me - says it’s too short (must be 8 characters)

How important is it to get this information, anyway? Seems there are only a limited number of causes that might trigger a rebuild, and I’m only curious - it’s not worth my time spending hours ferreting out the disk part numbers if it’s not going to come quickly - my whole problem with this product is what a time sink it is - I want to “set it and forget it” for the most part. It’s not giving me any joy in that department.

Nope. It asks for a password. I don’t get a username prompt. I tried the username anyway, but it’s looking for a password and won’t let me in, or go any further.

ray@Manray ~ % ssh root@192.168.1.xxx
root@192.168.1.1xxx’s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@192.168.1.xxx’s password:

Then you didn’t properly enable SSH via the dashoard. I literally do this dozens of times a day, and know the process like the back of my hand.

I get it, you’re a frustrated user who wants an “easy button”, but diagnosing problems like this requires INFORMATION, and you must realize that it’s equally frustrating for a skilled user like me to try and coach novice users through very basic tasks… time and time again. In fact, it often tests my patience to the breaking point.

Had you simply powered off the EX2 Ultra and popped out one of the drives to get the model number, it would have been much easier, but you left no choice but to do it the hard way. The SSH commands I provided would have also checked both hard drives for S.M.A.R.T. errors, so there’s that too.

The hard drive model numbers are required because it’s all but certain that you have two WD60EFAX WD Red hard drives. To you, that bit of information is probably meaningless, but it happens to be EXTREMELY IMPORTANT because WD60EFAX WD Red hard drives use SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) technology which is NOT suitable for use with RAID arrays.

Hmmm.

ok. . . .2x6tb drives is consistent with having a 12tb NAS :wink:

You really want to set a password from the dashboard (Setting/Network/SSH Or Settings/General/SSH) before trying to SSH in to the box.

But if this give you trouble; you might be able to get the drive model number from “Storage/Disk Status” and click on the link to “Drive 1” or “Drive 2”.

I bet I am thinking the same thing as Cerberus:
I think the key here is:
Are the drives “Red” (model WD60EFAX) or “Red Plus” (Model WD60EFRX)?

If “EFRX”; then ok. . . .there may be a problem that the full smart data from smartctl -a /dev/sda can reveal.

if “EFAX”, then. . .then google “SMR vs CMR”. . . there is likely nothing wrong with the drives per se. . they just got a bit overloaded during the backup. . . . . …but you will want to start shopping for drives. (because EFAX denotes you have SMR drives. . . . . which are not really fit for any purpose at all. . .and can get overloaded during routine operations. Best to replace.) (you don’t really need 7200 rpm drives. 5400rpm CMR drives are fine. It’s the SMR technology in general you want to avoid)

The hard drive model numbers are required because it’s all but certain that you have two WD60EFAX WD Red hard drives. To you, that bit of information is probably meaningless, but it happens to be EXTREMELY IMPORTANT because WD60EFAX WD Red hard drives use SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) technology which is NOT suitable for use with RAID arrays.

Ninja’d!

Are you using Putty to ssh? I would think you would be using username “sshd”. Like I said before. . .put in a password from the dashboard befoe trying to Putty into the machine.

Just to be clear: WD (and others) have been marketing SMR drives for NAS use (i.e. the “red” product line). . . but the reality is that they are prone to read/write errors and compensate with fancy firmware and a large cache. This firmware and cache could easily get overwhelmed. The Red Plus (5400rpm) and Red Pro (7200rpm) drives are all CMR drives; and really don’t have the read/write issue (and therefore don’t have as large of a cache).

I would not trust any SMR drive (from any brand) with important data. I have completely abandoned buying 2.5" HDDs (small external drives) because they are ALL SMR these days.

Well, there was actually a much easier way to get the information - from the dashboard, in the “storage” tab, under “Disk Status” you can get the model information.

Mine are WDC WD60EFAX-68JH4N0 so I guess they are SMR. Thanks for the tips, and thanks to everyone who offered a hand.

Just one remark, really for Cerberus, about use of the term “novice user.” I have been a technical communicator for over 40 years, and cut my teeth on the UNIX command line in the 80’s. Some times, things don’t work the way they’re “supposed” to. In our profession, we try to do all we can so that users are equipped to deal with unpredicted eventualities, as well as what’s in the FAQ. In fact, our job is to answer the UNFREQUENTLY asked questions, becauise the other ones - well - you know, is it plugged in?

Have a pleasant rest of your day

We may be missing an important point here:

• the raid rebuild was likely triggered by a drive fault.

One needs to run the SSH commands to figure out the nature of the fault.

The discussion about SMR vs CMR drives is NOT academic; SMR drives by their nature are more susceptible to the type of faults Cerb and I think occurred.

Recommendation:

1. Make sure you have a backup NOW.
  2. Make a plan to replace both drives with CMR drives OR accept the much higher risk of drive failure and data loss.
  • You will have to do research to figure out if a drive is SMR vs CMR.
  • If you can’t find information telling you a drive (any vendor) is CMR. . .then assume it is SMR (i.e. don’t buy it)

Commentary: The inferior SMR tech is relatively new. WD was “caught” using this cheaper-but-inferior technology a few years back. After HUGE consumer backlash; they revealed that the 2-6TB Red Drives were SMR; and that all “Red Plus” and “Red Pro” were CMR. That knowledge is a few years old: They may have begun slipping inferior SMR products into more of the lineup since that point.

The Last NAS I got from WD fortunately had CMR drives.
The newest NAS I have does not have WD drives.

Yet, you provided the wrong P/N number and couldn’t even manage to do something as simple as enabling SSH on a My Cloud NAS device, then login and run a few basic Linux commands.

You have SMR hard drives that may be failing, but you’ll never know because you took the easy way out and didn’t check them for S.M.A.R.T. errors. Regardless, because they’re SMR hard drives, the problem you experienced will happen again, and again. It’s not a matter of if, but when.