What current drives DO work in DX4000?

Hi everyone,

For the past few days I read about the challenges that Sentinel users like me are facing while trying to expand their NAS or replace failed drives. I am not going to rant about how this is unacceptable and bash WD for the poor user support for this family of products. The fact is that there are plenty of Sentinel boxes out there and more and more users will need to add or replace a drive or more and none of the drives listed in the whitelist.xml file are in production anymore.

I was wondering if anyone who got a drive - not in the whitelist.xml - to work in their DX4000, would mind sharing the exact model of that drive, aiming to build a list that we can all use sooner or later.

Please reply with your Sentinel model as well as the drive Make, Model and Size that you have managed to install.

Please do not mention the drives already in the whitelist.xml file.

Thanks everyone in advance and especially to those who have already shared their strugles over the past few years.

Cheers,
Adrian

PS: I have tested last night a brand new WD Re drive after installing the “WD Sentinel DX4000/RX4100 Drive Enabler”. It was recognized and accepted right away. The DX4000 is currently migrating the data and it’s at 45% (after 14 hours). I will report back once it’s done. It still shows RAID 1. The drive model is: WD2004FBYZ. If everything goes well and the RAID 1 turns into RAID 5, I will order another Re drive. Stay tuned.

Tested drives that work in the DX4000:

WD2000F9MZ-76NVPL0 (2Gb)
WD4000F9YZ-09N20L0 (4Gb)
WD4000F9YZ-09N20L1 (4Gb) this one only with the very latest firmware 1.7.6.21
WD2004FBYZ-01YCBB1 (2GB) WD Re (Enterprise, Gold)

Hello,

Let’s see if the users that have this unit can share that information with the rest of the community.

The compatibility list is already very well described here

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=9443

In my case I succesfully run two Sentinel units with the following HD:

WD2000F9MZ-76NVPL0 (2Gb)
WD4000F9YZ-09N20L0 (4Gb)

WD4000F9YZ-09N20L1 (4Gb) this one only with the very latest firmware 1.7.6.21

In any case WD now released a patch which will allow to use any kind of disk drive (provided of course size compatibility etc). I doubt however the patch can be used for the first install where you will need hard drives in the compatible list. It is ok instead either for drive expansion or replacement.

regards

Davide

As promised, reporting back.

The migration finished in less than 24 hours but the Dasboard showed a RAID 1 with 3 drives!! After re-starting the server the RAID was updated to 5 and the capacity has been updated to 4GB (3 x 2TB drives in RAID5)

I have already got another WD Re drive, which I will install tonight, filling up the DX4000.

The exact model of the drive is: WD2004FBYZ-01YCBB1.

Adrian

I struggle to find any drives that do work for our DX4000 which has a 4 3TB in a RAID5.
One drive failed 2 weeks ago and haven’t been able to rebuild it…
The new WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (a RED NAS drive) drive does not work and I have to try to return it now.
We’re in the process of replacing the DX4000 partly because of it’s difficulty to support.

Here’s the reply from Level2 WD Tech Support:

According to your request, you will have to run the drive enabler and then you will be able to use any Enterprise level RE or SE drive, non-GP (full speed 7200RPM enterprise drive is needed)

I suggested that this snipped be added to the readme.txt file that accompanies the WDDriveEnabler utility. That way people understand what drives they could use.

To answer your post, PaulvC, RED NAS drives do not work in the DX4000. I’ve read it in at least another post before.

Cheers,

just added 2TB Red NAS drive WD20EFRX

I also struggle to find replacement HDD for our DX4000 which has 4 2TB (WD2002FBYZ)
One drive failed week ago and haven’t been able to rebuild it…
Does 2TB WD20EFRX (a RED NAS drive) support for DX4000??

I successfully installed WD 3Tb RED NAS drives, but the WD disk enabler should be installed

The enabler should allow you to ad the red drive. But as @DTMtech will tell you if the box dies you will not be able to recover the box if it fails. I think you would be better off getting a MY Book or some other 2tb external drive for your data.